What kind of bedding do you use for your ducks?

Yes, my ducks were having issues from pine shavings and aspen shavings, both. Two of my six ducks repeatedly had sores on their feet for about a year. I would take them to the vet, treat the sores, the sores would heal, and come right back.

Finally I asked my vet why they were getting the sores and we talked about my ducks' environment. She told me to remove the wood shavings and use straw or hay as bedding. She preferred hay - as it is softer and closer to natural grass that ducks walk on. She explained that ducks need very soft surfaces and that if I bring my ducks inside they need to not walk on hard floors, so I'll need to put down thick layers of towels.

I did everything she recommended. I removed all hard surfaces and covered everything with 4-6 inches of hay. My ducks healed up and have NEVER had foot sores again. It has been about 4 years now without one sore.

I did switch to straw because it is easier to work with. Hay gets stuck together and is harder to spot clean. Both hay and straw need cleaning more regularly than wood shavings. It is worth it to me so that my ducks don't have pain.
Thank youuu so much finally with someone the same issue that I’m having with pine shavings. I just don’t feel right using pine shavings for this reason. How often do you clean the straw out? I don’t mind cleaning it more often as long as my ducks are more comfortable. Which kind of straw do you use?

Thank youuu so much finally with someone the same issue that I’m having with pine shavings. I just don’t feel right using pine shavings for this reason. How often do you clean the straw out? I don’t mind cleaning it more often as long as my ducks are more comfortable. Which kind of straw do you use?
I have a 10ft by 10ft room in a barn for my ducks. They sleep in one corner and poop in the same spot all night. So every couple days I take a pitchfork and scoop out that one corner. It just takes one scoop. Also about once in the middle of the week I "mix" the entire room, with a pitchfork. I flip and stir everything up. Then every weekend I clean out the entire thing. If I wait for two weeks to empty the entire barn I might find moldy spots, which can be dangerous to sensitive avian respiratory systems.

If your space is smaller you may need to clean more frequently. Also, I only allow food and water outside in the aviary, as my ducks will get their straw soaking overnight.

Editing because I forgot to say that chopped straw is my favorite, but much more expensive and I can't get it locally. So I just get a bale of whatever is available at my local feed store.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of your duck coop you built? I am planning to build one and just looking for an idea.

I started with just a compacted sand floor. They sleep fine on that alone. But then the mama had her eggs laying on the dirt. To prevent eggs from rolling around, I put in some palm tree fronds, giving just the leafy part. She quickly built a nice round nest out of them, and over the course of weeks she created a plush nest using her own down feathers.

Any type of material that dries and can be molded into a nest would be better than a material that is woody, like sticks and branches.

I know the long term dangers of mites and mold are real problems for using leaves. But I clean them out after the brood is hatched. I would really recommend a compacted sand for your base, or even a dry dirt. I think dry is essential.

I have a 10ft by 10ft room in a barn for my ducks. They sleep in one corner and poop in the same spot all night. So every couple days I take a pitchfork and scoop out that one corner. It just takes one scoop. Also about once in the middle of the week I "mix" the entire room, with a pitchfork. I flip and stir everything up. Then every weekend I clean out the entire thing. If I wait for two weeks to empty the entire barn I might find moldy spots, which can be dangerous to sensitive avian respiratory systems.

If your space is smaller you may need to clean more frequently. Also, I only allow food and water outside in the aviary, as my ducks will get their straw soaking overnight.

Editing because I forgot to say that chopped straw is my favorite, but much more expensive and I can't get it locally. So I just get a bale of whatever is available at my local feed store.
Okay thank you very much. My whole area for my ducks is about 15ft by 8 feet but the actual room part attached is 4 feet by 8 feet. I wasn’t planning on putting food and water in their room since they are very clumsy.. lol I appreciate the advice! I will definitely try the straw.

Can you post a picture of your duck coop you built? I am planning to build one and just looking for an idea.

I started with just a compacted sand floor. They sleep fine on that alone. But then the mama had her eggs laying on the dirt. To prevent eggs from rolling around, I put in some palm tree fronds, giving just the leafy part. She quickly built a nice round nest out of them, and over the course of weeks she created a plush nest using her own down feathers.

Any type of material that dries and can be molded into a nest would be better than a material that is woody, like sticks and branches.

I know the long term dangers of mites and mold are real problems for using leaves. But I clean them out after the brood is hatched. I would really recommend a compacted sand for your base, or even a dry dirt. I think dry is essential.

Attachments

• E9F7ED73-0F66-4658-9448-C4F69EFDD61E.jpeg
    E9F7ED73-0F66-4658-9448-C4F69EFDD61E.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 18
There's always that chance, of it looks very similar. I would think the smell difference would be enough, but you never know with animals.
Yeah, my ducklings were constantly trying everything to find out if it was food. Even poop. No ducklings! It still isn't food! You just tasted that 10 times in a row!

I use straw while I'm transporting ducks so it isn't as messy and it doesn't get everywhere and pineshavings in their main pen. Straw and hay mold easy and carry mold. You can use straw and hay for transport and nesting but make sure it doesn't get wet.

For my two pekin ducklings I have been using pine shavings for bedding but it seems that they were somehow getting cut on the back of their legs from it. I put some neosporin (without pain releif) and it seems that they healed! I currently built a duck house for when they are ready to live outside. But I’m not sure what bedding to use! I use pee pee pads in where they are staying now but that won’t work for much longer. Any recommendations? Is hay better? Thanks!
How old are the ducks? They might not be ready for pineshavings yet. You can use paper towel until they are about a week.

Back
Top Bottom