1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Kind of chick is this chicky??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have 25 "brown egg layers" and two "easter eggers". They are 3 weeks old. I moved them out to the coop 3 days ago. THIS one is by far my favorite. She is assertive and curious. She comes up to me whenever she sees me. She is always the first one to run to check out something new. I have named her Bella. I have NO CLUE what kind of chick she is though. Perhaps someone with more experience can help me identify her?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    She is cute !!! I think she is a white rock!

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    what color were her born feathers,
    the brightets yellow, or a little deeper with a very light brown line on the head.?[​IMG]

4. Stormy

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    Are you saying white rock as in PLYMOUTH rock? Aren't those white egg layers? I ordered 25 brown egg layers.....

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    im guessing white rock, by the color of her legs.[​IMG]
    they have light tint of grey.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    whte plymouth rocks lay brown eggs.[​IMG]

7. Stormy

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh boy, I don't know what her born colors were. This is my first batch of chicks and they sent 28 - I was so focused on the PROCESS of keeping them alive (clean water, dry bedding, food, temp 95, etc), that I didn't take note. This chick didn't stand out from the crowd until today - their third day out in the coop. Here is a picture of all them on the day of arrival...but I don't know which yellow one she is in this bunch. I can tell you that one of those yellow chicks has since died (note also the yellow that was dead on arrival). Leaving but ONE yellow. But I don't know which of these two yellow living chicks in this picture is the now-spirited Bella.

[​IMG]

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    u know whats funny is in that pic they look like white leghorn, but the leg colors of the white rock, im leaning on white rock.[​IMG] u have two white rocks, it looks.
    they are so cute.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Does she have a little black in her tail? Could be a Delaware! Those are such sweet birds! Total cuddle Bugs! [​IMG]

10. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    I'm a total newbie here - but she looks like my White Rock chicks, who are 3 weeks old today. [​IMG] Oh - and they lay brown eggs. From McMurray website:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/white_rocks.html

Our White Rock pullets are outstanding for egg production the entire year, and are especially desirable through the cold winter months when lighter breeds slack off. They lay a brown egg of fine quality and size. The rapid growth, white, easy-to- dress feathers, and golden yellow skin of the cockerels of our strain make them equally desirable. Raise some for the frying pan or roaster. They are compact and well fleshed at almost any age. They are all big birds, hens reaching 6 to 7 lbs. and cocks 8 to 9 lbs. A flock of these pure white birds ranging busily over a grassy field is one of the prettiest sights you will ever see. Baby chicks are a creamy white and may show a touch of gray smokiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by