What Kind Of Chick Is This?

blitzdude

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 2, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Momma wanted to add a few birds to the flock (We currently have 7 Champion Pearl Eggers, 5 Easter Eggers and a Silke from last spring) so we headed down to TSC. They happened to have Silkies and she feels bad that we have only the one and she always seems to be off on her own and doesn't appear attached to the rest of the flock. Anyway we bought 2 more Silkies and a couple of Plymouth Rocks. That was back in March so they have had a chance to grow a bit. The one is definitely a Silkie, has the hairy feet etc. but this was supposed to be the other. Certainly doesn't appear to be a Silkie. Any ideas what we may have got here? Thanks in advance.

Batman.jpg

Any ideas what we may have got here? Thanks in advance.
Good morning, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm thinking it's Golden Spangled Spitzhauben pullet. However Hoover's only shows having them in Silver and I don't think they're bearded.

So the other possibility that I actually think it is would be a bearded gold laced Polish which are sold by Hoover (they supply TSC). For laced birds... yours is looking more cockerel than pullet in the lacing department and the bearding gene inhibits wattle size. I hesitate to make a gender assessment without exact age in week and a good view of the saddle area.

Sounds like you've got a lovely and interesting flock! :pop

Good morning, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm thinking it's Golden Spangled Spitzhauben pullet. However Hoover's only shows having them in Silver and I don't think they're bearded.

So the other possibility that I actually think it is would be a bearded gold laced Polish which are sold by Hoover (they supply TSC). For laced birds... yours is looking more cockerel than pullet in the lacing department and the bearding gene inhibits wattle size. I hesitate to make a gender assessment without exact age in week and a good view of the saddle area.

Sounds like you've got a lovely and interesting flock! :pop

Thank you very much for the reply. The picture above he/she is probably between 8-9 weeks old. Very clumsy bird to say the least. I'm hoping it will grow out of it. Here are a few pictures from same timeframe. I apologize I assume you mean the chickens back when you say saddle area?
bm2.jpg
bm3.jpg

Thank you very much for the reply. The picture above he/she is probably between 8-9 weeks old. Very clumsy bird to say the least. I'm hoping it will grow out of it. Here are a few pictures from same timeframe. I apologize I assume you mean the chickens back when you say saddle area?
View attachment 2130476View attachment 2130477
Yes, that's the saddle.. but those pointy feathers won't start coming in until around 12 weeks on most birds. I'm still thinking gold laced Polish cockerel.. but I'm just making my best assessment and could be way off. So use your best judgement or get some more opinions and be patient while the truth reveals itself. :fl
1589065017428.png

Your other birds pictured.. the black one is your Silkie from last year but the other feather footed one is not Silkied and has the wrong skin color. If I remember correctly Brahma have only 4 toes and not 5 as a Silkie should. I think its going to be a gorgeous Dark Brahma pullet! :love

Thanks again. After checking pictures it definitely looks like we have a Gold Laced Polish and a Dark Brahma. Both came out of the same Silkie bin at Tractor Supply, go figure. Guess little BoBo will remain the lone Silkie. You certainly are an expert at chicken identification.

Thanks again. After checking pictures it definitely looks like we have a Gold Laced Polish and a Dark Brahma. Both came out of the same Silkie bin at Tractor Supply, go figure. Guess little BoBo will remain the lone Silkie. You certainly are an expert at chicken identification.
Lol, I'm no expert.. an enthusiast at best. :old I just love playing the gender/ID game and keep practicing. :wee

It's funny how many things a mind that want to can learn.. like car stuff, pokemon facts, and now chicken stuff. Remember someones name I just met or what was for breakfast.. not so much. :oops:

If I had found chickens when I were younger, they've expanded my interest so much.. things like genetics, biology, etc. ah well. :p

When trying to find chick ID.. knowing the supplier you can go to their website to narrow down your possibilities.

That bin probably should have been labeled ASSORTED bantams. But at my location they sometimes put in breeds that are to tell apart together and have signs hanging... but both sign are not always visible. TSC is known for their mix up.

Hope they are loads of fun and you enjoy them anyways!

Back
Top Bottom