What kind of chick

Hooshie

Chirping
Jan 13, 2016
St. Louis County, MO
My roo is an ameraucana, my two hens are a Bard rock, and a black sex link. I want to know if anyone has pictures or could describe what kind of chicks would each of my hens make if they mated with my roo.

Over your Rocks, he'd make more black sex link chicks (mixed breed, the girls will be black, the boys barred, they might have beards like the rooster). Over your sex link, I think it would just be all black chicks.

Last edited:
Your rooster is an Easter Egger, not Ameraucana. He looks like he's got a silver base color, and a blue dilute gene for black. About half the chicks will be blue. The barred hens will produce black/blue sexlink chicks. Any chicks with a white spot on the back of the head will be male. The black sexlink hen will likely produce all solid black or blue chicks.
Female offspring may lay either green or brown eggs.

Your rooster is an Easter Egger, not Ameraucana. He looks like he's got a silver base color, and a blue dilute gene for black. About half the chicks will be blue. The barred hens will produce black/blue sexlink chicks. Any chicks with a white spot on the back of the head will be male. The black sexlink hen will likely produce all solid black or blue chicks.
Didn't notice the dilute!

Can you explain the blue dilute gene to me??

It's the dominant dilute gene that affects black coloring. Black birds have no dilute gene. Blues have one copy of the dilute gene. Splash have two copies of the dilute gene. It's the gene that produces your rooster's gray (blue) coloring.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom