What kind of chicken is this, laying eggs in my yard? UPDATE!

Quote:
Last night while channel surfing I briefly happened upon some show about some form of endangered freshwater crocodiles; tehy mentioned the same thing about being very careful to not turn them--although they were digging up the eggs (while fending off the parents with a long stick) to place in an incubator. Yes, this was legitimate Indian government approved rescue efforts, not independant unapproved stuff. They candled and it was very, very different than looking at a bird egg.

Those are some CUTE babies! I don't like snapping turtles, but I always move 4 or 5 off our road near the culvert every spring.. they think that it's a better idea to lay their eggs in the dirt road than down by the stream... i try to convince them otherwise. they are resistant, and I actually keep leather gloves in the car to protect my hands while moving them, have had some nasty scratches, but no bites yet. Good luck, and do move them a ways away from your chickens! just in case! oh, and WASH YOUR HANDS!!!! turtles smell bad, and have icky germs
smile.png

11 babies so far, 3 were still in the nest at 8:00 pm, so I left them there. They looked frozen, like really stiff and slow so I thought maybe they were to cold to move. I covered them lightly with some dirt, and put the cage back over, they can get out, just trying to keep coons any! I moved them far away from the chickens, and they never seem to stay very long, just pass through. We do not have a pond or water that stays deep! I don't like snappers much either, but this is a once in a life time experience and I just thought I'd share it!
It is pretty cool that they hatched today, it is my Dad's birthday and he passed away 4 years ago, and to have them come up today is to me a sign that he is letting me know he is still with me! I know it is strange to think that but this is something my Dad would have gotten a real kick out of, and he gave me this land. It is just a warm memory for me is all! thanks for letting me share! I love nature, and this is something most people don't get to experience!Great learning experience for my little guy too!
The turtles did smell like rotten eggs! I also made sure to wash real good, and have the kids scrub up good! Although they didn't want to!

I learn something new here everyday... so keep those chickens away from the ponds where they might go to drink water and where snapping turtles could lie in wait.

Back
Top Bottom