1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chicken is this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nicolette, Jul 30, 2016.

1. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Just wondering what kind of breed of chicken this is.
    [​IMG]

2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Easter Egger.

3. littlefarmgirl9

littlefarmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Easter/Olive Egger. She looks almost exactly like my Cocoa! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE

6. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    are these kind of chickens prolific layers? How would you be able to tell between a Americauna, Arecauna or Easter Egger?

7. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    Not really. Americaunas have to be specific colors like Black, Blue, Splash ex. and they also have to follow the breed Standard. Araucanas are different altogether I believe they're tailess, but beyond that I'm not sure. They're all supposed to lay colored eggs ie blue or green. But EEs can lay brown eggs as they're technically mutts.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My hatchery Easter eggers have always been good layers. Not as great as say a sex link or Leghorn, but quite good. Reports on this board have varied widely, though, so Your Mileage May Vary.

Aracauna and Ameraucana both have breed standards, like any other breed. Specific traits and body shape, egg color and plumage color.

EE are a generic, usually wild-type colored bird that are supposed to be bred to lay blue or green eggs. They commonly have beards and muffs, and green or grey/slate legs and pea combs, but these are not 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by