What kind of chickens are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slfox73, Aug 31, 2016.

1. slfox73

slfox73 New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    My sister and I purchased a variety of rarest of rare chicks from hatchery not knowing what kind we would get. I kept 9 and she has the rest. Out of my 9 there are 3 that I am having a hard time identifying. They started laying eggs about 3 to 4 weeks ago however they are all pretty small eggs (getting bigger) and to my surprise the last 2 days we found a blue egg each day. I am not sure which ones are laying eggs at this point but I get about 3 eggs a day so I don't think all 9 are laying yet.

Out of my 9 I believe I have:

1 - Fayoumi
    1 - Polish Golden Laced
    1 - Dominique
    1 - Faverolle
    2 - Silver Phoenix

The three I am having a hard time with is the white one with very little black through its feathers, the black one with a greenish tint and the orange and white one.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I don't think you got what you ordered. None of these are rare.
    First two pics, White with black specks = Easter Egger
    Second pic, Gold Laced Polish
    Third-Sixth pics, Black with brownish yellow face = Black Sex Link
    Last two pics, Red & White = Cinnamon Queen aka Red Sex Link

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am surprised they would call Faverolle or Dominique rare when they sell them at feed stores all the time.. What did your sister end up with? That does look like puffy cheeks and a pea comb on the white one. So I agree with Gray Farms that is an EE and about the Gold Laced Polish. I don't have any sex link experience though.

Did you ask the hatchery what they sent you? Or check their site to see what breeds they have available since those are your only possibilities? I would be a little peeved. Did you get all girls?

4. slfox73

slfox73 New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    We ordered 25 total - this is my first time with chickens and my sister has had them for several years. Below is what we ordered which is why I was having a hard time identifying these 3 as none of them are listed as possibilities.

"This is a truly deluxe collection of the rarest, most beautiful and exotic birds. Have you ever seen any of these: Sumatras, Dominiques, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Silver, Golden, Buff Laced, and White Polish, Golden Campines, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Silver Penciled Rocks, Partridge, Black, Buff, Blue, & Silver Laced and White Cochins, Araucanas, Dark and Buff Brahmas, Phoenix, Fayoumis, Salmon Faverolles, W. L. Red Cornish, Lakenvelders, Black and White Langshans, Red Caps, Silver Leghorns, Crevecoeurs, Silver Gray Dorkings, Modern BB Red Games, Sultans, Buttercups, & Spanish? These exotic, beautiful varieties are found only in your larger poultry shows and are extremely rare. Each order of Rarest of the Rare Assortment will include straight run chicks of at least 10 different varieties from the breeds listed above. We cannot guarantee to include or omit specific breeds from the above list. If you must have only certain varieties, please order by individual breed."

We did end up getting 10 out of 25 Silver Phoenix chicks, but regardless of what kind they are we are enjoying them all, I never knew chickens could have such big personalities. And I was very happy to discover blue eggs (well my 15 year old called me at work to tell me "we have blue eggs"). I'm just hoping the eggs increase in size as they are pretty small.

5. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with Gray Farms on all the breeds. Sex link are the furthest from rare you can get. I'm just curious what breed you believed the sex links to be? Also what hatchery is that? I can't say that I'd call that selection rarest of rare by any means.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

All eggs are small when they first start laying. Mine averaged around 36 grams in the beginning. One month later, around 48 grams. The size of eggs will depend on breed for one thing.

You should let us know which hatchery you ordered from, so we don't make the same mistake. As far as I am concerned they were dishonest with you. Though they aren't listed as possibilities for rare breeds maybe they still sell them otherwise.

So if 10 of them are Phoenix, then your other 15 should be 9 different breeds according to their statement. Meaning not more than 2 of any other variety.

They sold Wyandottes (gold or silver laced), Salmon Faverolle, and Dominique at both of our feed stores this year. So yes, some of their breeds are rare but others are lies.

I am glad that you are happy with your birds. Many of us end up with "not the breed we were told". I just don't like to be lied to or ripped off!

I would also be excited for the blue egg! Still waiting to find out if any of my EE will lay colored eggs.... my 2 Lavender Ameraucana said "cock a doodle what?! we ain't layin' no eggs!" I still remember my first blue egg. [​IMG]

Again, please share the hatchery name so those of us who care won't order from there. I probably won't order hatchery chicks anyways as I am breeding my own.... but I feel it is important. And I realize you didn't come on here to bash them, only to identify your "rarest of rare" breeds. Also, one more question, what was the average price per chick?

I am just guessing, you will enjoy chicken TV as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes to you, your sister, and your flocks!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's from MMM hatchery.

8. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Your blue egg layer is probably what MMM calls the Whitings True Blue. Looks like your white EE (puffy cheeks)bird, but they come in other colors.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I also agree with Gray Farm on breeds. I would be beyond peeved, if I ordered "rarest of the rare," and got many common(though very good) breeds.

10. Curnow

Curnow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    Breckenridge, Missouri
    I zoomed in 200% on your pictures. I see pea combs and leg colors in yellow and greenish. It is my opinion you have a bunch of Easter Eggers misrepresented as Araucanas. They can lay blue, green, brown, etc. eggs. The dark one (picture 7 with rocks in background) it may be a Cornish. Can't see the comb or face in the picture.

I have some Easter Eggers in my mixed flock, they are a fun friendly chicken, pretty easy going. Some of my favorites over some of my pure breeds. Try doing yahoo or google image search of the breeds listed, it may help. Also, you can reference a different hatchery site, Cackle Hatchery has very nice pictures of their breeds as chicks, adults, and some videos of the flocks too. It is very easy to navigate and I have found it helpful many times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by