What Kind of Chicks Did I Get This Year?

GreyhoundGrrrl

Chirping
10 Years
May 5, 2012
Madrid, NM
I picked up several babies this year and 3 of them I am pretty sure of although 1 is a total mystery to me. I got them on Wednesday and Friday, they were most likely born on Monday or Tuesday (April 29th or 30th). They are from Privett Hatchery. They came from a group of Straight Run Assorted Feather Legged Bantams and Hatchery Choice Crested Straight Run.

This morning when I went out to collect eggs I found that one of my hens had hatched a baby! My first from my own hens! It is definitely a mix but of what?

Baby #1
I think this one is a Buff Cochin Bantam. Or could she be a Red Cochin Bantam? The chicks in the photos look like this too? She (hopefully she, that noticeable comb makes me nervous) is the most outgoing so far, she was also the smallest one at the feed store. I wasn't interested in getting any chicks this color but she came running over to me while the others ran away so that endeared her to me and I decided that she needed to come home with me
smile.png

Baby #2
I am 99% sure that this one is a Silver Laced Polish. I got one last year and she looked just like this.

Baby #3
I'm pretty sure of this one too. I think she is a Buff Laced Polish. Out of all of the babies she has the most established feathers.

Baby#4
This is my real mystery baby. NONE of the chicks on Privett's website look quite like this one! Her chipmunk pattern and coloring reminds me of an Easter Egger (I have two and they looked very similar to this as babies but this one has feathered legs, my EE's do not, of course). I have a few other guesses but I really can't tell at all. Could she be a Golden Laced Cochin Bantam? A Partridge Cochin Bantam? A Buff Brahma Bantam? Or maybe a Dark Brahma Bantam? I have no idea. Any guesses?

Baby #5
This is the one my hen hatched! She is acting a bit odd so I hope she is okay. It looks like she has a pecking injury on the top of her head and she wants to sleep nonstop. I couldn't even get her to keep her eyes open long enough for a photo. I'm hoping that is because she was born later yesterday or early today and that her behavior is normal for a newborn. I hope...but I fear otherwise
hu.gif
So she is going to be an interesting mix. Her Dad is either a Black Silkie (he doesn't have the walnut comb, he might even be a mix himself. He was given to me, I don't know if he came from a hatchery or not) or a Golden Laced Cochin Bantam. Her Mom is most likely a Birchin Cochin Bantam or a Barred Cochin Bantam. They are in a coop with Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, a Silver Laced Polish, and EE's too but the egg she hatched from was tiny and based on that and her appearance I highly doubt any of them are her mother. I know it was way too soon to tell but I plan on posting updated photos as the weeks go on so I thought I would include her here.

Oh! Baby #5 has 4 toes, not 5. I am thinking Dad is Westley, the Golden Laced Cochin Bantam because she does not have the extra toe that Inigo Montoya, my Black Silkie Roo, has. Of course she may just get her toe count from Mom though, who knows?

I got a better photo of Baby #5 and guess what? Another egg hatched last night, this is my Cinco de Mayo chick! I need to come up with an appropriate name. This one is a real mystery to me.

Baby #5
She is acting more alert and I think she is going to be just fine. Her pecking injury is healing and she is running around with the 4 Hatchery chicks, no problem. She still nods out when I try and take her photo though, not sure what THAT is about!
hu.gif
I do not think my Silkie is her Dad, I'm pretty sure that honor belongs to my Golden Laced Cochin Bantam, Westley. I think her Mom is my Barred Cochin Bantam, Margarita. Margarita had those two little white dots on the side of her beak when she was a baby too. Also, she has the white spot on her head that Barred chicks usually have. I know that this characteristic is not exclusive to Barred chickens but I'm using it as a clue. That's my best guess at the moment but who knows what she'll grow into.

Baby #6
This one is the new "Mystery Chick." She is mostly black with white on her wing tips, yellow on her belly, and a brown face. She is bigger and fluffier than Baby #5 and she has a beard, look at that beard! LOL!!! She also hatched out of a MEDIUM (bigger than my typical Bantam eggs but smaller than most of the brown eggs I collect from my hens) sized WHITE egg. I have never figure out which of my hens lays white eggs??? I only get one a day, the rest are green or brown. If I can figure out who is laying them I'll be able to identify her mother. I have:
-(4) Buff Orpingtons
-(3) Barred Plymouth Rocks
-(2) EE's (I know it isn't them, their eggs are green)
-(2) Birchin Cochin Bantams (I think they lay small brown eggs although I've never caught them in the act)
-(1) Barred Cochin Bantam (I think her eggs are also small and brown)
- and (1) Silver Laced Polish.
So which of these hens is my white egg layer??? Who is Mom?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom