What kind of container do you use for grit?

I use these for grit and oyster shells. Heavy duty and easy to clean. The little prongs grab into even the small hardwRe cloth openings. And they don’t fall. I think amazon says it’s $6.99 for the set of 3.

Attachments

• 2A9E09F0-0823-47AF-BEAB-64CAD6579029.png
    2A9E09F0-0823-47AF-BEAB-64CAD6579029.png
    516.3 KB · Views: 13
They aren't getting the full benefit from nutrients in their feed if the grit isn't appropriate for the size of the bird because it isn't sufficiently ground.
Maybe they are finding sufficient sized coarse stone in their travels.

Sometimes people don't offer grit if they only feed a manufactured feed since the feed is already ground in a hammer mill but grit will still break that feed down further.
I used to take that approach and not provide grit till chicks were outside foraging.
Then on a whim, I gave a batch of chicks a chick feeder of chick grit. (sand size)
They were ravenous for it. I started giving chicks grit from the start. It helps develop the gizzard.
At one point I sold some chicks from a hatch to a friend. It turned out she got several cockerels so I agreed to trade her a pullet for a cockerel.
I had no plans to reintroduce him to the flock so since I was also butchering some of my birds, I butchered him too. I was really surprised at the results. These birds were all from the same flock parentage, same age, same hatch. All of my birds' gizzards were twice the size of that of her bird she had raised from a new chick with no grit.
Yep

@Ra_ this is a good read on grit size, quality, etc
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry.891051/

I use one of these a friend gave me:

21dvDiFj3GL._SX425_.jpg

I've seen then at feed stores, but I don't know how much they are new. It looks like the one @Sueby posted for $4. I have it attached to the wire of my run using s-hooks. Easy, peasy. I like the idea of the bread pan. Grit in one side, oyster in the other.

Back
Top Bottom