what kind of critter is this?

I live in west Tennessee and I noticed frogs coming out of some of the holes in our yard lasts night. I thought they where all from mice but either the frogs took over the vacant holes or they made them. What I do is I get those mouse and rat poison that is about1" square and 3" long and I shove it in the hole then bury it. Works well. If you have diging dogs you may want to place a brick over it but I have found several dead mice in the yard since I did my routine De-Mousing.

I have a root cellar with black berries all around it...I have at least 3 gophers living under them... There's an in and out hole...well two holes per.

Last edited:
I have a lot of chipmunks (ground squirrels)...they have burrows that are 3.5".

My outdoor cats used to catch them all the time and leave them as presents on the sidewalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipmunk

so they bury food stores as well...just like a regular squirrel and our out and about scavenging for them lately I notice.

me,
g

Sounds like the darn mole that I have that is trying to turn the lawns into a battle field....... have been trying to catch the varmit for over 6 months.. he is soooo sneaky!

Quote:
YEP... my guess too.

I have moles and voles... and they both like to dig/burrow all around EVERYTHING.... and will kill a tree faster than you can say your name
roll.png

ETA: If you put down grub killer (or milky spore) it will kill the grubs in the ground (moles/voles food source) and they will go away (the moles/voles)

I PROMISE it will work! I have HUNDREDS of moles in our back yard..and side yards...
roll.png
put down about 6 bags of the stuff (try to put it down right before its going to rain, it needs to be watered in to activate..) and my moles/voles are GONE!
clap.gif
Well.. at least in THOSE areas... I do need to get more grub killer (it also kills ticks, spiders, ants, termites etc...)

I dont use it anywhere my chickens go however... they have thier own little grassy knoll
smile.png

Last edited:
I agree it could be a vole too but you said 3 inches in diameter right sounds to me like ground hogs.. We had tons in the bacj yard here in columbus,in they would burrow just under the ground and then when you stepped on the tunnels half the timne your foot would fall thru... They actually made or old barn cave in because of digging so many tunnels underneath it... Me and dad would sit out there with the 22 rifles and pop em off when they stuck there head up...

Back
Top Bottom