What Kind of Dog Does Your Chicken Have?

Our girls have two labs to protect them. We also have chicken-eating cows next door, so the dogs do a perimeter check every hour or two and give the cows an earfull if they're too close. We've only had problems with predators in our yard when the dogs were not around, so we leave them outside as much as we can while the girls are free-ranging. The chickens share their treats with the dogs (although not always willingly), and occasionally one will hop onto a dog's back for a ride.

We have 2 Boston Terriers Winston loves the chickens and loves 'giving them kisses' and watching them the chickens don't like the 'kisses' so well though they get all slobbery and wet. Patty however ignores the chickens existance unless the chickens have something she wants. My mom throws scraps in the cage and some happened to be near the fence Patty was trying to get it through w/ her paws to eat it and the chickens we're pecking and eating it at the same time, she was growling and barking at them trying to bite them through the fence just because a bean burrito.

My chicks have a rottweiler foster parent...he's so sweet and gentle with them! His name is Mack...he's the greatest dog in the world! Here they are with him when they were a few days old:

Chickens

Chickens

Hopefully the pics will work...never tried before!

My sweet baby chicks, (not here yet) will have as their protector our wonderful Spartacus, a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) He is a gentle, most intellegent fellow. I hope he will not think the chicks are new "squeek toys".

Here are some recent photos of him. I will take pictures of him as he gets to know these new members of his "pack."

Sitting next to the coop
Aug29BesideChickencoopnightlookinga.jpg

a head study
Aug29BesideChickencoopnightdarkclos.jpg

P.S.
The shirt is not because it is cold here, he was licking his elbow, so we put the shirt on him to deter the licking. I think, he is not getting enough exercise since I have been building the coop. I have "stuff" all over the yard and he can't get a good run going.

Last edited:
We've got two chihuahuas, half a dozen cats, and an unknown mix that was dumped by someone.

One chi chases the chickens (they're both on leads, and can't go far) and the chickens just get out of the way. A couple times the roo has turned around and chased back... funny to watch the education of the chi. She'll learn that the chickens are bigger than she is, and can whip her little butt if they choose.

The cats wander in and out of the run (usually to get a drink from the water pans), lay around and do The Cat Thing. Anyone crazy enough to chase after the two new chicks gets a quick education from the entire flock...they quickly learned that the chicks are off-limits.

The stray will herd the chickens back to their yard if she thinks they've gotten too close to the road. Otherwise, she lazes about, with assorted hens using her for a footstool / roost. Wish I could get a pic of That!

Kathy

Trying again to post my pictures of my Rottweiler Mack and my chicks when they were babies....

CIMG0448.jpg

CIMG0447.jpg

Hopefully the pics will work...never tried before!

We have a chocolate lab, Maggie. She's somewhat afraid of the chickens, can't look them in the eye LOL

She's going to be having puppies soon
smile.png

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom