What Kind of Dog Does Your Chicken Have?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bwebb7, Aug 30, 2008.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    We have an English Mastiff that takes care of our flock-He's very sweet to them and I know he keeps away the Hawks & other predators. It seems like most of the time he's sleeping but he does do "patrols" regularly throughout the day.
    We had chickens the last year and they were killed by something?
    This year we had 3 different bluebird hatches in the bluebird house thats been in the backyard for 2 1/2 years-I think even the wild birds feel safe from predators too.

2. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Well, my chickens have a stray cat. [​IMG] They will actually peep at him when he's asleep, and then he will start walking around the coop, "patroling" . It's hilarious, because he's a handicap little kitten.....it's just funny. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    We've got a rott/lab and a pitt/lab. Both would probably rather eat my birds than protect them. [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Awww, how cute. We have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog mix and an American Bulldog mix. They both like to follow the chickens around to get "treats" and the Am Bull tries to get the chickens to play with her. They don't really protect, but they at least chase the stray cats out of the yard.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

So very funny subject line! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My chickens have two cuddly Lab mixes at their beck and call! Even the neighbor's cows in the pasture next door are perceived as a threat to the flock and must be told off on a regular basis! Evil chicken-eating cows! :mad:

6. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Our chickens have two Norwegian elkhounds that would like to have dinner in the chicken coop. Not have dinner with the chickens but have the chickens for dinner!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Mine have a ferocious taco bell beast! [​IMG]

Here he is protecting them when they were babies...

[​IMG]

Now at 23 weeks old they send him packing whenever they want too. [​IMG]

8. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Our American Pit Bull Terriers and English Bulldog are great with the chickens but the Dauchshund and American Bulldog would rather snack on them.

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ours had an English Bulldog. They loved her! They would hop all over her and hide under her front legs. Had a near fatality one day when she laid down on one, but I was right there and was able to rescue the chick. Poor dog was a nervous wreck around the chicks after that, til they got a lot bigger.

We have a Boston Terrier now. Took her grabbing one of the babies and me chasing her around the backyard screaming, "Drop it!" at the top of my lungs, but she does great with them, now. She protects them from the vicious squirrels that eat their treats. The chickens hate her. They are still convinced she is going to grab at them, but she keeps a wide berth. My chickens hold grudges! LOL!

Shelly

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    A rhodesian ridgeback, a mutt and a great pyr/english mastiff cross. Alone, they are good with the birds, but let them all out together and they may just take one out. [​IMG] Love them anyway though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by