What Kind of Dog Does Your Chicken Have?

bwebb7

Songster
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Brooksville, Fl
We have an English Mastiff that takes care of our flock-He's very sweet to them and I know he keeps away the Hawks & other predators. It seems like most of the time he's sleeping but he does do "patrols" regularly throughout the day.
We had chickens the last year and they were killed by something?
This year we had 3 different bluebird hatches in the bluebird house thats been in the backyard for 2 1/2 years-I think even the wild birds feel safe from predators too.

Well, my chickens have a stray cat.
lol.png
They will actually peep at him when he's asleep, and then he will start walking around the coop, "patroling" . It's hilarious, because he's a handicap little kitten.....it's just funny.
tongue.png

Awww, how cute. We have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog mix and an American Bulldog mix. They both like to follow the chickens around to get "treats" and the Am Bull tries to get the chickens to play with her. They don't really protect, but they at least chase the stray cats out of the yard.

So very funny subject line!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

My chickens have two cuddly Lab mixes at their beck and call! Even the neighbor's cows in the pasture next door are perceived as a threat to the flock and must be told off on a regular basis! Evil chicken-eating cows! :mad:

Mine have a ferocious taco bell beast!
gig.gif

Here he is protecting them when they were babies...

Blueprotecting.jpg

Now at 23 weeks old they send him packing whenever they want too.
gig.gif

Our American Pit Bull Terriers and English Bulldog are great with the chickens but the Dauchshund and American Bulldog would rather snack on them.

Ours had an English Bulldog. They loved her! They would hop all over her and hide under her front legs. Had a near fatality one day when she laid down on one, but I was right there and was able to rescue the chick. Poor dog was a nervous wreck around the chicks after that, til they got a lot bigger.

We have a Boston Terrier now. Took her grabbing one of the babies and me chasing her around the backyard screaming, "Drop it!" at the top of my lungs, but she does great with them, now. She protects them from the vicious squirrels that eat their treats. The chickens hate her. They are still convinced she is going to grab at them, but she keeps a wide berth. My chickens hold grudges! LOL!

Shelly

A rhodesian ridgeback, a mutt and a great pyr/english mastiff cross. Alone, they are good with the birds, but let them all out together and they may just take one out.
sad.png
Love them anyway though!!

Back
Top Bottom