What kind of duck band is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Oct 8, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was at the lake today on the lookout for a female ducks with fishing line around her leg when I spotted this strange yellow band on this mallard duck. It didn't look like a regular research band because of the little tip on it like a zip-tie. I wonder if it's a duckling band that didn't get cut off when the duck was a baby.

Should it be removed or could it be a research band?

It has a number on it, but I can't tell what the company or research facility it came from. I don't want to remove it if it's for research. I don't like that sharp end sticking out like that, though.

Here is the duck I saw it on:

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of the band:

[​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Does it have a number on it, i can't tell? Looks just like a yellow zip tie to me. I use colored zip ties around here to identify my birds by the color of band there wearing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I see a number 58 on it. It appears to be a fairly young duck, but old enough to fly, so it could be someone's escaped pet or farm animal.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Most birds banded by the federal government that i have seen has a metal band. So it possibly is just a farm bird. Then again i don't know how they do it in your area.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know, either. We don't have big duck farms as far as I know.

I was concerned this was a duckling band and it might actually be hurting her as she outgrew it. But, if she was banded this way as an adult, it shouldn't be a problem. She does walk a little funny, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by