What kind of duck is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StormyMoon, Sep 5, 2011.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I rescued this black duck and rooster they had lived together all their life and they won't leave each others side. The duck is a male .....solid black with dark greenish color head He stands up unlike my Pekin ducks . Thanks for any ideas !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Cayuga or black runner

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Do any of you know what I can give him to help build some weight he feels awfully thin to me. I dont want to overwhelm him or anything he is super friendly and does like to be held and even tries getting on our laps if we sit on the ground. He was being raised by a little 6 yr old boy in the city and the city was called out cause the rooster crowing the faced getting a ticket. They called me to come get them my pekins eat anything that don't eat them first lol but this duck was being raised on cat food, parrot food, and rabbit food and white whole corn.

My ducks get salads, non medicated chicken crumble and they free range all day long. The new duck Daffy don't know what to do with this new food he nibbles at it but appears to be turning his nose up to it.

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I don't have a lot of duck experience (I have 2 muscovies I got last spring), but you could try offering him mashed boiled eggs. The protien in the eggs may help him put on weight. Also, I find that my ducks will eat almost any treat if I throw it in a tub of water for them to fish out. Otherwise, just enough time on a better balanced duck diet will likely fill him out. Good luck. He is adorable, and his rooster pal is quite a looker too. What a comb on that guy!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    That is a BEAUTIFUL solid black duck. [​IMG] Where did you get it from?

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks like either a black runner, probably hatchery quality, or a runner mix. They tend to be on the slim side..

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Do you have a starter or conditioner feed on hand? He's going to always look lean because of his build, does he really feel thin and boney?

Try sprinkling kitty food or corn or whatever you may have that looks like his old food on top of his new food. And be sure he has consistent access to it if you think he is too thin. Make sure he isn't getting chased off it.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:X2
    Looks like a runner. And they are thin.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2
    Looks like a runner. And they are thin.