What kind of duck is this?

StormyMoon

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Alvarado, TX
I rescued this black duck and rooster they had lived together all their life and they won't leave each others side. The duck is a male .....solid black with dark greenish color head He stands up unlike my Pekin ducks . Thanks for any ideas !
56092_image5.jpg

56092_image6.jpg

56092_image4.jpg

Do any of you know what I can give him to help build some weight he feels awfully thin to me. I dont want to overwhelm him or anything he is super friendly and does like to be held and even tries getting on our laps if we sit on the ground. He was being raised by a little 6 yr old boy in the city and the city was called out cause the rooster crowing the faced getting a ticket. They called me to come get them my pekins eat anything that don't eat them first lol but this duck was being raised on cat food, parrot food, and rabbit food and white whole corn.

My ducks get salads, non medicated chicken crumble and they free range all day long. The new duck Daffy don't know what to do with this new food he nibbles at it but appears to be turning his nose up to it.

I don't have a lot of duck experience (I have 2 muscovies I got last spring), but you could try offering him mashed boiled eggs. The protien in the eggs may help him put on weight. Also, I find that my ducks will eat almost any treat if I throw it in a tub of water for them to fish out. Otherwise, just enough time on a better balanced duck diet will likely fill him out. Good luck. He is adorable, and his rooster pal is quite a looker too. What a comb on that guy!

Do you have a starter or conditioner feed on hand? He's going to always look lean because of his build, does he really feel thin and boney?

Try sprinkling kitty food or corn or whatever you may have that looks like his old food on top of his new food. And be sure he has consistent access to it if you think he is too thin. Make sure he isn't getting chased off it.

Back
Top Bottom