what kind of ducks do you have?

Quote:
tongue.png
The runners are cool looking.. I think i'll be getting a few of them
big_smile.png

If you're looking for ducks to sell, Runners always seem to be VERY popular.

Personally, I'd go with a dual-purpose breed though, because that will appeal to more customers. Anconas are the first breed that comes to mind - decent layers, good meat birds, and they're all beautifully and uniquely marked! Not to mention, they're somewhat rare, so you'd be helping to preserve the breed.
smile.png

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Anc/BRKAnconaDuck.html

Harlequins or Magpies would also be good choices, as they're gorgeous and great layers.
thumbsup.gif

Personally, I have Dutch Hookbills that I think are the prettiest, smartest, friendliest breed there is - but they DO NOT sell well locally. I also have Call ducks, which are hard to breed and sell in numbers - although, they're the cheekiest, funniest little birds!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
right now i have welsh harlequins, runners, blue swedish, buff and cayugas and i am in love with the WH and runners! i plan on rehoming the blue swedish, buff and cayugas. I am expecting snowy mallards in the next two days and i am really excited for those!

I LOVE my anconas. I got them for eggs, meat and selling and because I am really interested in preserving the breed. So far there has been a lot of interest in purchasing my extra ducklings, which gives me hope for a future duck market in my area.

Best egg layers: Runners, Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequins
Prettiest: Welsh Harlequins
Funniest to watch: While all ducks are entertaining, I think Runners tops this category
Smartest: It seems to be an individual thing. I have a really smart welsh harlequin and the rest range from typical to dumber than a box of rocks
big_smile.png
I used to have a really smart buff, but she was also really really loud. Nettie and Joe have clicker trained some of their runners.
Friendliest: Pekins have a reputation for being really friendly. So do scovies. My welsh harlequins see people as treat dispensers. They are somewhat friendly, but not cuddle ducks.
Loudest: Rouens, Buffs and Pekins

I got a surprise mix last winter, and was kind of bummed to have pekins in there, thinking "oh well they are just white". Well they do grow up to be the cutest things, so fluffy, and yes the feathers are white, but they have a creamy look to them. Plus, they make a good meat bird if so someone wants that. Very calm and friendly. My mallards though always seemed the most interactive with me, but that might just be because I only raise a small number at a time. I did have someone ask me early this year if I had any mallard hens, as they didn't want to raise any and wanted some. A lot of people around these parts seem to want mallards because they fly and they like them on ponds, or for sport reasons. I like the suggestions of dual purpose birds as well.

Last edited:
We currently have a bunch of Khakis (just got 10 new babies too!), one blue runner (my favorite), and that's all now. lol. We used to have two Pekins that we just sold the other day. Dad didn't like them because they grew up to be "extreme cr*ppers" and made more noise than the rest. If it were up to me we would have kept them, but selling them was better than eating them IMO.
hmm.png
We like the Khakis because they're sort of like the runners, but a little friendlier apparently. I personally like the runners because of their bowling pin stance and the fact that they don't fly. I wanted to breed som lavenders this year, but Dad didn't buy me any more blues.
sad.png
If anyone in Massachusetts has a blue runner or two, let me know!
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom