What kind of egg is this?

dadbern

Chirping
Jul 4, 2021
So to start off, I have 4 Easter egger chickens and three brown Ancona ducks. My chickens are 28 weeks and have been giving me 1-2 eggs a day for several weeks. The ducks are 25-26 weeks old and I had given up on them as all being males. When I pick them up they are mostly quiet, but not raspy. When I checked the coop today, (all are in the same coop), I found this in one of the nesting boxes. It is mammoth compared to the other eggs and is oddly textured. Is this a duck egg or do I have an amazon chicken? My nesting boxes are 16" off the floor and I am not even sure my ducks can get into them. Also I thought ducks would lay on the floor not in the boxes. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20211130_222721164.jpg
    PXL_20211130_222721164.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 14
So to start off, I have 4 Easter egger chickens and three brown Ancona ducks. My chickens are 28 weeks and have been giving me 1-2 eggs a day for several weeks. The ducks are 25-26 weeks old and I had given up on them as all being males. When I pick them up they are mostly quiet, but not raspy. When I checked the coop today, (all are in the same coop), I found this in one of the nesting boxes. It is mammoth compared to the other eggs and is oddly textured. Is this a duck egg or do I have an amazon chicken? My nesting boxes are 16" off the floor and I am not even sure my ducks can get into them. Also I thought ducks would lay on the floor not in the boxes. Any thoughts?
I’ve had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Usually when eggs this size are laid, they do tend to be a bit deformed. This is probably a chicken, and it’s normal if it lays one bug egg once in a while.

Hope I helped!

I am assuming it is a chicken egg. New layers tend to pop out a surprise egg once in a while. They are new at it so hiccups happen. I would bet it is a double yolker.

Are all the eggs brown? If so a chicken laid the egg. It probably has two yolks. Sometimes pullets have some odd things happen when they start laying. Your Anconas will lay white or possibly blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom