What kind of egg is this?????

Justuschicks

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Keswick, Virginia
Did a fecal on some chicken poop and this is the only thing I found. This is at 40X. Any ideas what kind of parasite egg it is? Roundworm? Thanks

Oh, and I adjusted the color a bit to show more detail.

68100_dscf5061.jpg

Last edited:
I looked in the fifth edition of the Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual in the chicken section and the egg looks like either ascardia galli (large roundworm) or heterakis gallinarum (cecal worm.) For me, it's tough to distinguish between the two because they both almost look like the one in the pic you posted. No other oocysts or protozoa come close to your pic. The oocysts usually take several days to hatch into larva. I recommend using albendazole or fenbendazole, redose again 10 days later to kill larva hatched from eggs since the initial dosing.

Guess I am on the right track then....the cecal was the other one I was thinking it could be. I have goats and do my own fecals but this was one I have not seen in my goats. I dosed with a piperazine product but was thinking I would use some safeguard in a couple days. I am assuming I would just use a toothpick tip amount for a chicken since the safeguard is for larger animals. Do you know what the withdrawl time is to be able to eat the chicken eggs again? No products will tell you.

Quote:
Yes, I would go with the safeguard rather than the piperazine. If you have the safeguard liquid goat wormer, use that on your chickens: Administer orally with a syringe without the needle. Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
You can use the safeguard paste as well rather than the liquid goat wormer if you wish. Dosage is a "pea" size amount given to each chicken. Seperate your chickens and put the "pea" size amount on a small piece of bread and give a piece individually to each chicken one by one, if you dont, they'll steal each others piece of bread. Then you'll never know which ones got wormed.
Reworm them again 10 days later. There is a 24 day withdrawal start to finish including after the second worming.

Alright, so I gave them the safeguard this morning and just a minute ago I was out there and saw a poo that had some small rectangle white worms. Didn't look like grains of rice like tape worms. They were tiny rectangles....moving rectangles. YUCK!!!! I forgot to mention in my first post that a couple weeks ago I gave them Cheyenne pepper in their food (natural wormer) and a day after I gave them that someone pooped out some small white worms. Very thin white and only about 1" long.

Back
Top Bottom