1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Kind Of Free Rare Chick Do I Get From McMurray?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deb1, Feb 10, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray. 10 Buff Orpingtons, 10 Red Stars and 5 Black Jersey Giants.

The first two are for egg laying. The JGs are just because I thought that they looked cool. I don't know anything about JGs though.

McMurray throws in one free chicken with your order.

What kind of free chicken does McMurray generally throw in the bunch? I am guessing that my free rare chick will be a rooster. I just wondered what breed. Will the tell me the type of chicken or do I have to guess?

2. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Im not sure which type but i am sure you probably have to guess cause ive seen people get packing peanuts and whatnot and they never tell you what breed their going to give you

3. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Don't know the answer to the Question, but you will love your Jersey Giants. I want a few more this year. They are very gentle, big beautiful eyes, I find they can be very shy if not handled a lot from the start.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    It's there choice what you get.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I've heard that they are chucking in EEs frequently as your free rare chick. They market them as Ameracaunas.

6. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Our free chick from McMurray(8 years ago) was a light brahma roo. He just passed away this winter. He was a great flock protector. We loved him. I hope that whatever chick you get, it will be as wonderful as Freddy. I think that McMurray will send whatever they have extra of. It could be nearly any breed.

7. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I hope that I get a one like Freddy also.[​IMG]

8. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I wouldn't mind an EE.

Waiting until nearly the end of March is going to drive me crazy. I want those chicks now.

9. Gregory

Gregory Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Our 25 brown egg layers arrived this past Sunday. The free exotic chick we received was a cream colored naked neck. It's funny, when she is sitting down she looks like a little BO, but as soon as she stands up and extends her neck, you know she' not a BO. We thought she was kinda ugly a first, but she's starting to grow on us.

Greg

10. BB3

BB3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    I got a Booted Bantam in my order, they don't even advertise booted bantams, which were one of the birds that were used to breed the Belgian D'Uccle, MM advertises birds as pure breed, but sometimes they aren't. But I do like my 2 EE roosters that were also supposedly Ameracaunas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by