What kind of goat should I get?

Quote:
I have one and he thinks he is my baby. He also enjoys hanging out with my 90 pound white boxer. The female pygmies run screaming from the dog.

You need a goamel.

Arachnebutsmaller.jpg

If you are just wanting weed control then I'd also suggest wethers of whatever breed you decide. If you think you may want to milk then I'd suggest does.... much easier to milk than wethers!
lau.gif

For your size acreage I'd also suggest either Nigerian Dwarfs or Pygmys. If you decide you may want to milk then I'd suggest Alpines, Nubians or LaManchas (if you can get past them not having ears.) Or, a good Nigerian from a strong milking line genetically.

And, in case you aren't aware... you NEED to have at least two goats. They are very social animals and need another goat as a friend. They will be happier and healthier and you won't have a bored goat trying to get away or get into quite so much mischief.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more moonspotted nubians around, since the color is dominant! But, it seems like nobody actually breeds for color in Nubians since there are no color restrictions. It breaks my heart to say it, but those are not my goats. I would post pics of my babies, but my comp refuses.
sad.png
Though, the first pic I posted looks a lot like my girl Artemis.
Edited to say: yes, I would still get two.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, you still need two goats. My goats butt the dogs when they try to get near me, so you might want to warn your dogs to look out!

Grumble grumble.... They are a little expensive. Is $75 expensive?

From that info I think about any breed would work. I've had nubians, pymgies, alpines, fainters (one), Nigerians, boers, and LaMancha (one), and I think any one of them would work!

Fainter,
100_0664.jpg

LaMancha,
grim.jpg

Nubians,
GrimMerlin.jpg

PatchRisky024.jpg

Riply3-060706.jpg

Nigerians,
024-3.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

100_2178.jpg