What kind of goat should I get?

How much time do you want to spend taking care of the goats?
They consume more time than I thought. Trimming feet and vaccinating.
If you are able to keep them where you want them. I have had experience with lots over the years. I currently have some boers that I raised from babies, so they are very easily handled.
Bucks stink and have a tendency of being mean when they get older. The boer herd that I had was too much for me. Alot of them just would run like deers. And feeding time was dangerous. They will knock you down if you have a bucket.
Pygmys and baby goats are very hard to keep in. They can squeeze through the smallest of spaces. If you are not planning on raising babies or milking, find some wethers.
OK there is my 2 cents worth. Start with a couple until you see what it is like.

Quote:
Your avatar, goat, and chicken are all black and white! This is not the comic strips, ya know!!!!!

(and your wee little goat is verrrrry cute!)

she is a baby still, a week old!
I do have a tendancy to like the black and white theme!!!

Nigerian Dwarfs! at least two............they don't always eat what you want them to eat.....go to" Fiasco Farms" Website. It's great!

Pygmy goats are the best!!!! They are so friendly and hilarous! I have 3 males ( make sure they are castrated, neutered, gelded, whatever you want to call it) They are easy to maintain, I trim their feet myself. If you can get your hands on a pile of big rocks, they love to jump up and down and play on them and its good for their feet.

I also have 2 Mini Donkeys, the pygmy's themselves wouldnt put a dent in the 2 acres I have fenced in for them. They get along great and are so loving and cuddly. My donkeys act like the parents and are very watchful and protective of the little goats. Maintenance is easy once you get used to it.

19343_dscf0764.jpg

19343_dscf0775.jpg

19343_dscf0756.jpg

19343_dscf0798.jpg

19343_dscf0786.jpg

I will always vote for lamanchas. I love their personalities and cute, earless faces. Plus it's always fun to watch someone's face when they see one for them first time. You can practically see them thinking "What happened to its ears???".

DSCF0041.jpg

im Loving the pictures of the pygora...

my grandad had a pygmy when i was growing up, Awesome, acted like a mischevious puppy, followed you everywhere, and not bad milk (nan used it for making milk bath and lotions as well as cheese)

we dont have space for goats yet, but id like a trio of pygmy (or now im looking pygora as i love to spin) one day...when i have the space

GET A PYGMY!!!!!! I LOVE! my pygmy goats they are so cool, in my experience I think they are better then the nige dwarfs but the dwarfs are also really nice. but if you do not want a mini goat get a nubian they are also nice but if I was you I would get a wether pygmy you will be pleased

I like Nubian's.I personally don't own one but my friend does and they are so sweet ! Gentle giants LOL

hmm i have Boer goats and they tend to be very loud HAHA
And I don't like Pygmy's because Mine kept jumping the 5ft fence so we sold her.

Back
Top Bottom