What kind of goat should I get?

smile.png
Good Morning...

I'm not sure if you got your goat yet, but a thought that came to me was if you want weed control, a sheep may be a better choice depending on the forage you have to be grazed. I use my goats to graze things my sheep don't care to eat. Sheep seem to eat grass better than my goats. My goats on the other hand eat the stickers, woody plants and the bigger weeds along with the grass. Goats are just a wonderful animal but sheep have there own little place in my heart too. I just read the sweetest book called The Year of the Goat, it is a story of a couple trying to find what goat was for them and tells of their experience visiting many many different goat farms across the country my husband and I both really enjoyed reading it.

Best of luck to you in your search,
Lisa

Quote:
Yes fainting goats for sure. I have had them before and the kids just loved them. Mine were all family pets and loved to be around us. Plus very entertaining!

I haven't seen any of you give your thoughs on boer? They're a bigger meat goat. That is the breed I'm thinking seriously about getting. Any thoughts?

I love my boers. I have 6. They are very friendly and calm. Sometimes even lazy. And when they do have babies I will sale them as meat goats which is better $ at times than when they are sold for pets. I know that is a bad thought to think of but I try to just say I am selling them for the $$. I had a larger herd and sold all but the babies. I couldnt handle that many by myself.
I have been around others types of goats. My neighbor has pgymys. They are more active. And smaller to try to keep them where you want them. They can get through smaller holes.

Alpines! They're great for milk and can be a bit challenging. That's why I love them!
love.gif

Dixie and her twins, Bernie and Oreo
3216_mom_and_twins_at_rest_0011.jpg

Dixie and Oreo
3216_mom_and_oreo_0011dsc_001110.jpg

Whatever breed you get, just be sure to have good fencing!

Back
Top Bottom