1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of latches are raccoon safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happymom99, May 6, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    We are going to start building our first coop and I know that raccoons can be crafty and open latches and things. What kinds of door and windows latches are safe from raccoons?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

best thing to keep raccoons out is a lock. Honest. I used to have pet raccoon and they would over time foil every type of latch I came up with EXCEPT a lock that needed a key to open.

Don't leave the key out by the coop either because I swear if given enough time, they will figure out how to use it too!!

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    [​IMG] I have to agree on this one.

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    We have ons of racoons here and we decided the only way to be sure they won't break into the coop is a padlock. We hung the key next to the lock on a string to make it easy for people to go in and out, so we are good until the racoons learn how to use keys.[​IMG] Seriously, though, racoons are VERY smart, and we figure better safe than sorry.

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Racoons do have "thumbs" and can open any latch that a human toddler can handle!!! They also are EXCEEDLING PATIENCE!! They will work at a latch for a LONG time to get a chicken dinner!!!

On some of my "doors", I have TWO latches - one high and one lower. They can't open them both at the same time. I also do this to keep children out of my coop and run.

Cindy

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up a package of four small padlocks w/two keys at Lowes over where the padlocks are sold. Sometimes they are called "luggage locks". They fit nicely on the small latches we've added to the nest boxes, the coop door and the door to the run.

Gail

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

A key lock would be effective. Would not risk a combination lock with those clever beasts....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by