What kind of parasite is this?

I've had the same thing happen. Tapes ARE a pain in the neck to get rid of. I ended up spraying my yard with Malathion to cut back the insect population. Keeping my birds penned for a month wasnt fun as I resprayed the yard one more time.
Wild birds can bring in tapeworms and start the process all over again, especially birds flying south for the winter and back up north in the spring. I've had that happen too.

Make sure you retreat with the praziquantel medication in 2 weeks time.

I have had recurrent issues with tapeworm in the environment. I used to treat the individuals who showed the segments in their poops. I talked to an avian vet and her perspective was that if the tapeworm is a repeat issue, it’s likely prevalent in the environment. She recommended treating the entire flock, then again in two weeks, and then every three months for a year.
This is great info. I was using the herbal 14 day treatment every couple of months, but recently had surgery and all kinds of things were way laid. The grass was too long and with the heat was getting watered more often, perfect for tapeworms. Lessons learned. I guess with the repeat treatments we won't be eating eggs for a while. I just really want them to be healthy. Thank you again.

I've had the same thing happen. Tapes ARE a pain in the neck to get rid of. I ended up spraying my yard with Malathion to cut back the insect population. Keeping my birds penned for a month wasnt fun as I resprayed the yard one more time.
Wild birds can bring in tapeworms and start the process all over again, especially birds flying south for the winter and back up north in the spring. I've had that happen too.
We have all kinds of wild birds, large and small. Also many types of four legged critters that somehow get in the fenced yard. The coop is up on a covered table on wheels and not big enough to keep them in there for long in my opinion, so I hope I don't have to go nuclear on the grass. I am mowing much shorter than before so I hope with all the UV rays the tapes will die. Thank you so much for your help.

We have all kinds of wild birds, large and small. Also many types of four legged critters that somehow get in the fenced yard. The coop is up on a covered table on wheels and not big enough to keep them in there for long in my opinion, so I hope I don't have to go nuclear on the grass. I am mowing much shorter than before so I hope with all the UV rays the tapes will die. Thank you so much for your help.
That's the way to go, keeping grass cut short helps deter all types of worms. Sand in pens also helps.

I have also found keeping the grass short to be a helpful strategy. It has the double benefit of protecting one of my hens who has feathers on her feet (when the grass gets too long, her feather snap and break).

If you can scoop up the poop in the evenings that’s also good to reduce worm populations.

I hope your surgery went well @OKhobbit and that you’re recovered/recovering well.

Back
Top Bottom