What kind of pellet gun for squirrels?

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Alright, it's gotten a little out of hand now. My yard is a buffet, period. There's a dozen squirrels in my small yard 24/7, and now they have developed the habit of going into the unscreened patio, eating my mom's sprouts and plants, chewing through the treat bins, and crapping everywhere. Today I drew the line when I saw a couple of the tree rats gorging on chicken feed.

What type of pellet gun would I need to dispatch squirrels safely, and easily? It should be quiet, and found at Walmart. This would be the first gun for me to own, but I've shot several in the past.

Quote:
Agreed.

If they have already established a pattern and arrive in your yard, expecting to be fed - then you'll still have to deal with them. Dont buy one based on price, they dont shoot faster than 5-600 FPS. You can buy a decent rifle for what you need for around $100 and get 1000 FPS +. Anything less and you run the real risk of just wounding it instead. Also, make sure you use pellets, they shoot flatter and hit with more energy. Finally, nothing is better than shot placement. You can have a $600 rifle but if you cant hit a small target with accuracy and consistency, then your just wasting your time.

Always check the local laws! Some states it's illegal to trap & relocate them. Others they are considered a nuisance animal and its open season.

I know I'm sure gonna hear it after this post, but my husband and my 11 yr old son shoot squirrels with a Crossman air rifle that shoots 1200 ft/second. Kills the squirrels with one shot... and we ate them.
smile.png
I never in a million years thought I would like squirrel, but they have made a pact to only shoot something they are going to eat, so we did...

Let me know if you want a recipe
lau.gif

btw, I think we found it at Dick's Sporting Goods, but it was relatively inexpensive ($120 ish)

Last edited:
The plan is to take out these problem squirrels while I get everything secure. I can easily secure the chickens, but the patio is a different story, since screening the entire thing will cost a pretty penny for my parents. They tend to hang out in it just for fun, too. I already recognize the same squirrels.

You create a perfect habitat for the squirrels and when they behave according to the plan you've created for them, you just kill them. Nice.

Way to put on your thinking cap.

Crossman Phantom. Accurate right out of the box. This is coming from a girl who never shot a gun before. The only problem is, You shoot one squirrel and 6 come to the funeral.

In Michigan you can hunt them with a small game license ($15/year), so I just get small game license for the year (which also covers other critters that are nuisances).

Quote:
Agreed. The answer doesn't have to be to shoot everything that we find pesky. I admit to being a bit biased because I really love squirrels -they work hard, they play hard, they are amazing, amazing parents to their babies, their antics are fun to watch. I would never dream of harming one. To the contrary, we are having a very cold winter and I am purposefully feeding them peanuts, sunflower seeds, corn, to give them a helping hand in the harsh conditions. I don't have much money but I feel so much better helping beings in need than hurting them. They don't bother my birds in the least. By the way, when we kill anything, it opens a niche for more of the same species to fill, so it doesn't really solve the problem.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom