1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of poisen?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Katy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

OK. I have had it. They set my live traps off without being caught. Evidently I can't hit the broad side of a barn...or at least a running rat with a pistol...and I'm tired of them eating all the feed in the coops and runs that have them. What kind of poisen can I put out that won't kill the barn cats, chickens, or dogs if they eat one of them buggers after it's dead? I did buy some giant rat traps today that I'll set tonight and fence off so the hens can't get to them. But if these don't work it's time to play mean.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried rat shot in your pistol?

and I think the stuff called "Just One Bite" doesn't have a second kill effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No, what's that? I just was using the ammo that the DH has....22 bullets. Is that mini shot?

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Rat shot is like a shotgun shell for pistols... Thats the best way I can explain it. It has a bunch of small pellets instead of a solid bullet, effectively letting you hit a larger area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-shot

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'll have to see if I can find some. Thanks [​IMG]

6. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I would never use a rifle round (22 is a rifle round) for rat control, especially fired out of a pistol. Use a shotgun with low brass dove load. Its effective killing range is only about 45 yards, you wont miss, and you wont have a ricochet kill the neighbor. Rat shot loads, as noted above, are also good, and even less dangerous than the shotgun. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro gun to the tilt, but I'm also for safe effective use of that power. I'll save the pistol and rifle for larger prey, such as those who would harm my family or abscond with my property, and of course the 4 deer per year that I put in the freezer.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  7. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Your Walmart should have ratshot. It works well!

8. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    What kind of poisen can I put out that won't kill the barn cats, chickens, or dogs if they eat one of them buggers after it's dead?

The only poison like that I've ever seen advertised is from the U.K. (saw it in Practical Poultry):

http://www.eradibait.com/

it claims:
    EradiBaits[​IMG] unique formulation ensures:

* no risk to children or pets
    * no risk to livestock or birds
    * no risk of either primary or secondary poisoning - bird of prey friendly
    * no known resistance
    * no special requirement for transport, handling, storage or disposal
    * no risk of contamination to crops or food
    * no environmental pollution - fully biodegradable

Sometimes it seems that all the cool poultry stuff is only available in the U.K. Wonder if any supplier would ship it over here?​

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'm going to have to look into that rat shot too. I don't have a rat problem, I just think it would be good to have around for small predators at a close range. I've seen it before and know where to get some locally.

10. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Any more info on this 'eratibait'? It sounds great!Thanks-I sent them an email.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by