What kind of poisen?

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
OK. I have had it. They set my live traps off without being caught. Evidently I can't hit the broad side of a barn...or at least a running rat with a pistol...and I'm tired of them eating all the feed in the coops and runs that have them. What kind of poisen can I put out that won't kill the barn cats, chickens, or dogs if they eat one of them buggers after it's dead? I did buy some giant rat traps today that I'll set tonight and fence off so the hens can't get to them. But if these don't work it's time to play mean.

Last edited:
I'll have to see if I can find some. Thanks
smile.png

I would never use a rifle round (22 is a rifle round) for rat control, especially fired out of a pistol. Use a shotgun with low brass dove load. Its effective killing range is only about 45 yards, you wont miss, and you wont have a ricochet kill the neighbor. Rat shot loads, as noted above, are also good, and even less dangerous than the shotgun. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro gun to the tilt, but I'm also for safe effective use of that power. I'll save the pistol and rifle for larger prey, such as those who would harm my family or abscond with my property, and of course the 4 deer per year that I put in the freezer.

Last edited:
What kind of poisen can I put out that won't kill the barn cats, chickens, or dogs if they eat one of them buggers after it's dead?

The only poison like that I've ever seen advertised is from the U.K. (saw it in Practical Poultry):

http://www.eradibait.com/

it claims:
EradiBaits
00ae.png
unique formulation ensures:

* no risk to children or pets
* no risk to livestock or birds
* no risk of either primary or secondary poisoning - bird of prey friendly
* no known resistance
* no special requirement for transport, handling, storage or disposal
* no risk of contamination to crops or food
* no environmental pollution - fully biodegradable

Sometimes it seems that all the cool poultry stuff is only available in the U.K. Wonder if any supplier would ship it over here?​

I'm going to have to look into that rat shot too. I don't have a rat problem, I just think it would be good to have around for small predators at a close range. I've seen it before and know where to get some locally.

Back
Top Bottom