what kind of predator does this? WARNING: Graphic pictures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by floman13, Dec 5, 2014.

1. floman13

floman13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    We have been loosing a hen every couple of days to hawks and now only let them out for an hour in the evening. All were alive lat night at bed time. This am I found one dead in the pen eaten from head to shoulder and a small hole under the coup with her feathers around it. She would not fit through hole. Cam inside and called my dad to help me fix hole. 2 hours later we were out and he comented on my 9 chickens...but I have 10 left I went in the coop and found another with the side if her neck missing but she was still alive. What would eat this like this? I posted pics sorry they are graphic [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Edited by staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  2. floman13

floman13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    [​IMG]

3. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Raccoons usually eat the head first and come back later to finish it

4. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    Mink or weasel.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd say a raccoon trying to pull her through the hole. In my early years of chicken keeping, I had a raccoon pull a fully grown chicken through a 2" X 2" hole piece by piece. I'm so sorry she was still alive. 2nd guess would be a weasel of some sort.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. MightyDucksVT

MightyDucksVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    St.Johnsbury, VT
    I agree, this is exactly the type of animal that would kill that way. My mother had a similar problem with her ducks.

"Signs of Mustelid Predation: Weasels and Mink

• Weasels and mink have similar feeding behaviors, killing prey by biting through the skull, upper neck, or jugular vein.
    • In poultry houses, they often kill many birds, eating only the heads of the victims. Predation by rats usually differs in that portions of the body are eaten and carcasses are dragged into holes or concealed places.
    • Weasels eat eggs by breaking in at the ends. (openings 1/2 to 3/4 inch (1.5 to 2.0 cm) in diameter). Close inspection of shell remains frequently will disclose finely chewed edges and tiny tooth marks."

http://icwdm.org/inspection/Livestock.aspx

Sorry for your losses, I hope this information helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by