What kind of protein/oil supplements work well for pullets?

Clam shells? There is sure to be some inexpensive source of calcium.

For years ground bone was a cheap source until "mad cow disease" stopped it in most countries.

But as long as your eggs have good hard shells, no soft ones, you should be fine.

Quote:
And they - scrambled eggs, cheeses, yogurt, BOSS are treats, but they just happen to be treats that are good for them.
wink.png

Has anybody ever added that soy protein powder stuff to chicken feed? On account of I got a big can of it once for some ambitious diet i was going to do, and it's still around. It seems to me that it would be a good use for it, adding it to treats or feed in small amounts. Anybody got any info on that?

re oyster/clam shells: I occasionally get a big bucket (free) from a local restaurant and leave the shells outside in the weather until they're clean and softer, then whack 'em up with a brick. that's pretty cheap!

Thanks, Ya'll!

I'm constantly experimenting with my chickens to see what kinds of goodies they will eat. The latest two were crab meat (a big hit), and fish (only a few got into it). I bought some edamame, but I can't figure out if it is cooked or not, and uncooked soybeans are bad. Another big hit has been finely grated mozzarella cheese--it gets under the leaves and keeps them busy for quite a while.

As for protein powder, another post on here pointed out that there are often additives that would be bad for chickens, so be VERY careful there are no additives. I would stick with that made for livestock.

thanks, chookchick. love the mozzie idea, except i'm not sure i'm willing to share it with the chix. sometimes i mix a little cod-fish oil with the powdery leftover from crumble feed and that's a treat too. i'll study the label, but maybe i should just throw the stuff away, it's "vanilla-flavored" so there's some additive in it. liz

Quote:
I give my birds Manna Pro supplement for show birds. It only takes a tablespoon or two per bird and my BO roo's color is much brighter. He does seem a little rowdier when he gets it regularly, though.

Back
Top Bottom