What kind of protein/oil supplements work well for pullets?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
What kind of protein/oil supplements work well for pullets?

I talked to one lady who uses sunflower seeds as both a protein and oil supplement.
I've also read that cat food and/or dog food can be used - but not sure what kind.

I would prefer to avoid actual meat - what works for you?

Last edited:
Chicken feeds are designed to be all you feed your chickens. Why do you want to add supplements? I have only fed store bought or home mixed feeds (with a bit of leftovers). You don't really NEED supplements.

But I guess I am ignorant on this subject so please don't be hurt by anything I said, okay?

They get good feed and also free range a bit. I would just like to make available a bit extra.

I saw one of my girls eat up a lizard yesterday, so I know that they do find some foraging on their own. Between the chickens and the cats the lizards just don't have a chance.
smile.png

Black oil sunflower seeds are good for them.. Also, if you are adding alot of table scraps, I would recommend oyster shell or feeding their own shells back to them. If all they are eating is their feed, then oyster shell is not needed, but if they get lots of table scraps, they need more calcium to give their eggs hard shells.

I know people who give protein supplements during molt, since feathers are primarily composed of protein. Makes sense to me.

I've read that dog food doesn't make a great protein supplement since it's actually not much higher in protein than chicken feed. Cat food, on the other hand, is much higher in protein.

Other people use gamebird feed which is usually around 30 percent protein.

Purina Layena has all your chx need.
I sometimes feed
fresh kale or yogurt. but ninty % of the time
just the store bought feed and in the winter months a few handfulls of old Bread and Corn scratch to keep them warm.
and a few cups of dry cat food.

Fish meal is a good protein source, fish oil can be a good oil source. Just make sure with either that you are getting something designed to be eaten, not to fertilize the garden.

Sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, flax seeds and their oils are good. Canola & olive oils are good. Pumpkin seed is very, very high in protein and is good for them.

Quote:
That's what I do. I toss them a small handful of 2:1 ratio of blackoil sunflower seeds and kitten chow prior to and during molt.

Mine are molting. They are getting yogurt, black oil sunflower seeds, cheese and a handful of dry cat food now and then. Oh and yesterday, everybody - dog, cats, chickens - got scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom