What kind of quail are quite & great layers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WineChicks, Jan 8, 2012.

1. WineChicks

WineChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Considering adding a few quail to my backyard farm. I am looking for a great layer and a breed that's as quiet as possible. I'm only planning on having females. Thanks!

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    um...lemme think.....possibly coturnix?

lol...yea really tho, coturnix are your bird then, females are quite, no temper(for the most part might get an oddball) they can lay about 300 eggs a year with proper lighting as well. any color range will do.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, for the most part cot hens are quiet. I have one chatty bird, she sounds like a kookaburra when she gets going. Other than that the egg call is the loudest they get, sounds like a high pitched scream.
    Here's a video of them, you can hear the egg call toward the end.

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Coturnix are the hands down best layers!
    Their quietness is debatable.

Dingo, good observation on the (I JUST CRANKED OUT AN EGG) call! Most people just dismiss this, or rarely hear it. It can happen before, during, or several minuets after!

A randy hen can get quite vocal if she isn't getting her loving, but most normal humans are sleeping when this happens. Other than that, a roo's crow is the loudest.

5. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    I have 3 Coturnix that are in my house. The girls chat a fair amount, but are really quiet, you can't hear them if you walk out of the room. My roo is extremely quiet as well. He only calls about 3 times a day. Other than that, the loudest he gets is when I give him meal worms, he "clicks" fairly loudly and does a little dance until one of his girls notices how nice he's being. All three of them put together are quieter than one of my laying Silkie's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by