What kind of snake is this? Any help?

I'm quite sure it's a corn snake. Named that because they live in the corn fields down south and eat mice and rats. They are a very common pet snake.
Where are you located?
I'm pretty sure that's what it is... very harmless unless you're a mouse. :)

I fully agree - it looks just like my anery corn did and I believe it is an anery corn. However, edford may be correct here as well...it's difficult to say "It's this snake for SURE or it's that snake for SURE is presumptuous and arrogant at best. Close-up pics would tell the story - but I don't think the OP wants to waltz with the snake to suit our curiosity.
smile.png
Regardless of what it is - ...considering the site and forum we are on, my recommendation would be to trap the snake and take it to a pet store who can find it a home, put it on Craigslist or...eradicate (kill) the snake. All of the snakes mentioned in this thread thus far can and will eat chicken eggs. We never fed Candycorn living creatures (it's inhumane in our belief, to do that in a domesticated setting. Nature is fine but not in our house!) ... but she loved eggs and when she was at full growth I have no doubt she could've easily downed a baby chick, too. I'd definitely 'get rid of it' one way or another.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that! I'd agree, a full grown corn snake could easily eat eggs and small chicks, but it's very doubtful it could hurt an adult chicken. They just aren't large enough for that. Your hens, however, would probably tear the snake apart.

Look closely at the face, there will be a black band that goes from behind the eye across the forehead and across the other eye, i have hatched these snakes out before i know what they look like.

Walt Crawford of the World Bird Sanctuary (based out of St. Louis,MO) knows anything and everything about wildlife. (636-861-3225).

Back
Top Bottom