what kind of snake is this

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hatchcrazzzy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    [​IMG]
    my wife killed this snake this morning .it was in the peacock and chicken pen .he was moving but she got him with post hole diggers.can anyone tell what kind this is? [​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Looks like a cornie...a corn snake. [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My husband says it looks like a water snake. The picture is a little blurry. We live in the east and we have snakes that look like that. The eat frogs, mice and are non-poisionous, but don't take our word, you are in Texas where everything seems to bite or sting. [​IMG]

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    looks like what we call a mole snake. cant see the head but if it is round not pointed it could be.[​IMG] best thing to do is google until ya find it . the mole snake i killed was more grey than this on in the pic-

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

we've got gopher snakes out here (often confused with rattlers because of colors):

[​IMG]

7. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    by the markings, looks just like a rat snake to me , stripes across the top and spots along the sides

Texas Rat Snake

Non-Venomous
    Average Size: 42 to 72 inches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Texas Rat Snake has a voracious appetite, consuming large amounts of rodents and birds, and sometimes lizards and frogs which they subdue with constriction. They are generalists, found in a wide range of habitats from swamps, to forests to grasslands, even in urban areas. They are agile climbers, able to reach bird nests with relative ease. They are often found around farmland, and will sometimes consume fledgeling chickens and eggs, which leads them to be erroneously called the chicken snake. They are known for their attitude, and will typically bite if handled, though their bite is harmless.

rat snakes are large, powerful constrictors that consume rodents like a kid would candy! It is not uncommon for several mice to be constricted at one time by a Texas Rat while another is currently being eaten.Texas rat snakes have a reputation for being one of the nastiest of the rat snakes.

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    It looks like it would be seeing my rear-end...at high speed...going in the opposite direction!!!!

9. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    ..(moved up to other post)....

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I would have to guess its a DEAD snake now, but I would try to figure out exactly what kind it is so your not Killing beneficial snakes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by