What kind of snake?

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So we found this little one outside our house. Huge storms just came through last night and they had to sit out there all night. We’ve brought her in to warm her up and let her rest before we let her go, but I have a question. What kind of snake is it?
image.jpg

That's an Eastern Kingsnake; the light bands across the body are characteristic.

http://herpsofnc.org/eastern-kingsnake/

If my experience with that species is anything to go by, she may have gotten a bit cranky when she warmed up. I hope nobody got bitten; they are harmless, but will defend themselves vigorously if they feel threatened.

So we found this little one outside our house. Huge storms just came through last night and they had to sit out there all night. We’ve brought her in to warm her up and let her rest before we let her go, but I have a question. What kind of snake is it?View attachment 2088359

That looks like whole lot of oh HELL no! I don't mind king snakes, but not in my house! I live in rattlesnake country, king snakes good...rattlesnakes dead! :barnie

That looks like whole lot of oh HELL no! I don't mind king snakes, but not in my house! I live in rattlesnake country, king snakes good...rattlesnakes dead! :barnie
Same though. The road my old house was on used to be called rattlesnake ridge...heh. There was also a rattlesnake near the gate to our pasture. I don’t think I used that gate for a year. However, I do like snakes. My great uncle caught a baby orange banded snake(?) for me when I was a squirt. His name was Mr. Wiggles and I loved him to death. My mother was not happy.

We had a Mojave green, not 6' from my back window last year. He was after God knows what but he became a very dead snake! In July I went in to weed the garden and had a diamondback warn me to get out. Another very dead snake. I let my garden go to waste because of that damn snake. First two we have had on our property in 5 years. See plenty out in the backcountry, those I give a wide berth and haul tail the other way. In my yard, dead, dead, dead!
I am that way with lizards, but not snakes. The snakes are already out here in Az and there have been so many people bit in the last week. I don't need anyone be it human or animal bit. I guess our hiking has been abruptly halted early this year.
Okay well in north GA we have mostly kings, corns, rats and garden snakes. Copperheads and rattlers are not at all common where I live at least.

It's a beauty. I wouldn't have brought it in the house either, though, I don't care for the smell of snakes.
My dad came and said she peed on him. After researching a bit, I learned that eastern Kings release a musk when threatened. I looked him dead in the eye and said “I don’t think that was pee” She had quite the smell about her when she first came in.

That's an Eastern Kingsnake; the light bands across the body are characteristic.

http://herpsofnc.org/eastern-kingsnake/

If my experience with that species is anything to go by, she may have gotten a bit cranky when she warmed up. I hope nobody got bitten; they are harmless, but will defend themselves vigorously if they feel threatened.
She is. I did the google and it matched. She didn’t get thaaaaat cranky until I set my hand down on the counter and she started slithering at my hand. I said “lol nope.” We almost had a snake loose in the house. Luckily, she made her way back into the jar and we released her back to her home....which is two feet away from my back door in a gap in my driveway.

Same though. The road my old house was on used to be called rattlesnake ridge...heh. There was also a rattlesnake near the gate to our pasture. I don’t think I used that gate for a year. However, I do like snakes. My great uncle caught a baby orange banded snake(?) for me when I was a squirt. His name was Mr. Wiggles and I loved him to death. My mother was not happy.

We had a Mojave green, not 6' from my back window last year. He was after God knows what but he became a very dead snake! In July I went in to weed the garden and had a diamondback warn me to get out. Another very dead snake. I let my garden go to waste because of that damn snake. First two we have had on our property in 5 years. See plenty out in the backcountry, those I give a wide berth and haul tail the other way. In my yard, dead, dead, dead!
I am that way with lizards, but not snakes. The snakes are already out here in Az and there have been so many people bit in the last week. I don't need anyone be it human or animal bit. I guess our hiking has been abruptly halted early this year.

Back
Top Bottom