What kind of temporary shelters do people use for their meaties?

chicky28

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Hello all! New to raising meat birds and plan on buying 25 chicks in May. Any ideas on how to build a temporary shelter only to be used 6 weeks out of the year? Going the inexpensive route.
Thank you in advance !

I don't have any tractor ideas, but we sometimes raise them in our detached garage and fence a large area outside for them to go into. It's certainly inexpensive and our wood pen breaks down and stores easily. We found it easier than the inexpensive, but HEAVY tractor we were using. There is a video link below...

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. Looks like we'll be cleaning out our garage as well. :)

I have a very large rabbit hutch that I converted over for my meaties. Thats what I will be using when they are old enough to go outside.

I let mine free range last year in my backyard along with my laying hens. But I wont being doing that again, too messy lol. Lesson learned
I want to raise them again this year but smaller amounts at a time. Hope to raise 15 now and wait about 3 weeks and raise another 15 until it is too hot than I will raise more again in the fall.

We just built a small pen using 1x2 and used chicken wire to enclose it, I plan to move it every few days. Six weeks will go by fast.
big_smile.png
with
i also saw one that was made with a smaller square pens connected together hinges so they could collapse and put them away each year.

I built a simple pvc a-frame. Nice and light and can be built with stuff from home depot. I use zip ties to secure the fence to the pvc

I let mine free range last year in my backyard along with my laying hens. But I wont being doing that again, too messy lol. Lesson learned
I want to raise them again this year but smaller amounts at a time. Hope to raise 15 now and wait about 3 weeks and raise another 15 until it is too hot than I will raise more again in the fall.

We just built a small pen using 1x2 and used chicken wire to enclose it, I plan to move it every few days. Six weeks will go by fast.
big_smile.png
with
i also saw one that was made with a smaller square pens connected together hinges so they could collapse and put them away each year.
I'm also doing smaller batches--last year I did 30 at once--a nightmare! This year I have my first batch of 6 and will do 2 more batches of 6 at a time--more manageable for me! And hubby who processes them. LOL!

Quote:
I too did 15 at a time last year and let them free range- my first time with broilers- ha what a pooppy mess :-( this year i plan on doing only 10 at a time a few times this summer. We have a co-op here that is FDA inspected and will process them .yeah!

Back
Top Bottom