What kind of thing SCREAMS at night?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a fisher cat. Awful sound.

Honestly it sounds like you heard a rabbit being hunted & caught, and something else just happened to be in the bushes when you went out. Seeing that you are in Brick NJ, I wouldn't think panther or something along those lines. When a rabbit gets caught I honestly have to go inside the house or cover my ears til it's over
barnie.gif
I'm a 30 year old woman, but the screams those poor things let out when they get caught are just too much for me to listen too.

When I was a kid,my cousin and I used to play by this canal by the property. Anyways, we were always spooked of La Llorona. Ledgend says she drowned her kids in a river to be with her husband,but he didn’t accept her for being a murderer,so she went in the river to find her kids,but she drowned as well.So the ledgend says she haunts rivers and canals looking for stray kids to take them away with her with a shrilling scream and a skeleton face.

So we were walking home away from the canal when my aunt screamed” La Llorona is behind you!! Run!!

He burst past me in a panic run,then fear grabbed me and I came up to him,tripped him and dove head-first into the house.I closed the door and my aunt asked where my cousin was.I said” Hes dead,hes gone! La Llorona got him! My cousin was banging on the door crying to come in.He came in and fought me for a good time.

The moral of this story? There is no moral. If you can’t run faster than your cousin and La Llorona is behind you,trip him.
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
wee.gif

"Barred Owls are also known for the wide range of sounds they make. Many people have been frightened by noises they heard, not knowing it was only an owl. The most common noise is the mating call. The male calls out and the female responds. Barred Owls make many other noises including various hoots, whines, and squeals. They can sound like barking dogs or whooping monkeys. They also make sounds like humans, including a scream like someone in great pain and one that sounds like laughter."

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/barred_owl.htm

My part-time neighbors from down south heard one the other night and asked if we heard "the screaming".

Can't say for sure that's what you heard but they are getting ready to mate now.

Quote:
See, that's it - I highly doubt there was a panther or coyote by me. It would be a very rare thing if that were it. The screams were very high pitched and gradually got to it's high point and then would wind down and then start all over - it was awful! It went on 3 or 4 times and by the time I got over there it was over. Believe me, I had my ear tuned for any sound that night and haven't heard it since.
hu.gif
Whatever it was - it was eaten or IT is still out there.

Elly Mae - thanks for that link! I'm going to check out the sound chart when I get home. I'm at work and I don't think it would be wise of me to have those screams and squeals coming from my office.
lol.png

If I ever find out, I'll let you all know! It would be very cool to have more wild creatures in this area again.

Quote:
I have not read all of the responces here but I wanted to say. Large cats scream when in heat, mating. Bobcats, Mountain lions, black panthers, I don't know if this is what you were hearing but if you are sure it was not a fox then maybe you have a bobcat.

Back
Top Bottom