What kind of tools do you keep on hand for projects

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by perchie.girl, Feb 5, 2011.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I was just on another topic and it occured to me that I have a particular list of tools that I keep on hand. I am always doing projects and live alone therefore I have over time resisted going overboard with tools I keep. If I need something more substantial or for a one time project I rent:

A short list of power tools I keep around:

1. Skill saw. (Miter and complicated cuts can be accomplished with practice)
    2. Drill motor. (if given a choice I use screws every time)
    3. Roto Zip. (will do most jobs a scroll saw will do and a thousand more)
    4. shop light with a clamp or a hook

I dont do battery powered tools because I forget to keep the dang things plugged in. I do have about a thousand feet of power cord though.... [​IMG]

Then for those projects where you need a second set of hands:

1. C clamps
    2. Wood clamps
    3. Bungee cords
    4. Duct tape (duck tape held my truck together for a very long time)
    5. Vise grips

All of the above can be purchased at Harbor Frieght for half the cost of a home depot or Lowes. and for the amount of use I give them they are quite suitable for my needs.

any more ideas?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Sorry you never have enough tools. I have a woodshop, with all of the tools I had when I had a cabinet shop. I'm all the time adding more.

Air Compressor, nail guns, table saw, chop saw, planer, sander, on & on & on. [​IMG] [​IMG] Love woodworking! [​IMG]

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Table saw, compound slide miter saw, Mag77 worm drive saw, Sawzall, jig saw, dremel, rotozip, set of 18V Makita drill and impact driver with 2 spare batteries, air compressor, air nailers from 18ga finish to framing nailers, levels from 8" to 6', framing hammer, speed square, drill press, shovels, picks, rakes, tape measures, pencils a plenty, paper, roto hammer, electricians tools, socket set, and every other tool I used to build my house.

I need a planer and a lathe.

4. perchie.girl

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] If I had a garage I would have more. My next purchase will definately be a Compressor. Then eventually air powerd tools. But There are alot of us who are pretty novice with regard to woodworking and knocking stuff together. I built my first coop with a hand saw and a hammer. That was when I bought my first power tool a skill saw.

5. perchie.girl

Quote:So my guess is you are beyond the basics.... [​IMG]

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I've been buying/collecting tools for over 40yrs. In my opinion, You can NEVER have enough tools. There always seems to be something I just have to have. Like I just got this cool Delta variable speed drillpress.... But thats another story.
    Jack

7. perchie.girl

Quote:I'm a late bloomer where wood working tools are concerned. And have very limited income so I have to buy things that will multitask. What I have can be packed into a box and kept in the house. I do have a drill press a chainsaw and a one man auger havent used them yet so I forget I have them. and for a brief few months I had a Full blown Metal Lathe... just didnt have a place to put it. So it got sold to a Machinist in town. I am much better with steel and sheetmetal been around it longer so my wood working tools never got built up.

What I wish I had is a tractor or a bobcat. I have eighteen acres to fence and cross fence and I will be darned if I will pay 5 dollars a linear foot for approximately three miles of T post and field fence and or hotwire. sigh

8. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Slightly off topic:
    If I had to go down to just 1 power saw in my garage it would be a Jig Saw.
    It does just about everything. Not fast but it works.

That being said I am also glad I have a circular, recip, miter, etc.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My Daddy bought me a jigsaw for Christmas and DH got me a Miter saw for our anniversary.

I put up my first chicken coop with little more than a hand saw, a electric screwdriver, and a fencing tool

10. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    Not a tool -- but you can never have too many screws and hinges on hand either. Tarps are good, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by