What kind?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2isenough, Jan 31, 2016.

1. 2isenough

2isenough New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    We are starting our coop build today. Just wondering what kind of rooster is the best to have?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

It depends on what you want! Do you want a big bird to protect your girls? Are you looking for one that will be docile and good around kids? What traits do you want from the chicks he will produce? Do you want purebred chicks? Would you prefer bantam to large fowl? There's really no such thing as the best breed. It will entirely depend on what you want to get out of your birds.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Maybe if you think around the questions that Pyxis has raised, you may be able to begin to narrow down your choice of breed. If you ask 10 BYC members which breed is best, you'll get 10 different answers, but if you look in the breeds forum you may get an idea of the "typical" traits of common breeds and this may also help you make your decision.

All the best
    CT

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you are going to use the rooster for breeding, you want a calm and gentle rooster as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. I would recommend getting a rooster from one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, Cochins, or Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. If you are wanting to breed high egg production into your flock, Australorps are the best layers on this breed list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Michael has given your good suggestions. Welcome to BYC, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Some good points were mentioned by the previous greeters. Just keep in mind, to prevent over-breeding injuries to the hens, a rooster needs several ladies to share the love. The recommended ratio is 1 roo to 8-10 hens.

it's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by