What kinds of Predators have taken your birds?

What Predators have you lost your birds to?

• Foxes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Raccoons

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Hawks and Falcons

Votes: 68 49.3%
  • Eagles

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other birds of Prey - Condors?

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Minks, Ermine, Martin other Weasely things

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Bears

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Snakes and lizards

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Two Legged Predators

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Dogs

Votes: 61 44.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Anthing else that wants a chicken dinner or egg breakfast?

Votes: 36 26.1%

• Total voters
Hawks are our biggest nemesis. But after acquiring a large rooster, we've had no deaths. The roo is a wimp but very good at keeping a lookout. We've had one fox attempt and not succeed due to my awesome dog. A mutt but makes an excellent chicken guard. So lucky not to have bobcats, coyotes, and other large predators! We once found a snake in the coop but he was just stealing eggs.

My favourite rooster died fighting off a python, a bigger python ate a hen, hawks swoop on them as they free range but so far no casualties there. This week we lost a pekin and suspect it was either a quoll, fox or goanna. Only little bits were left uneaten. I hope she provided a feed for a native animal and not a feral fox.

Over the past 50 years I have lost chickens to raccoons, fox, redtail hawks, dogs, bobcat, gray rat snakes and mostly to 'possums.

Opossums have killed three of my hens.first time he killed two I trapped him took him ten miles from home and explained to him what would happen if returned. I hate to kill something for doing what they were put on earth to do. And it was my fault I live in city and six years no prob. Two weeks ago something got into closed pen killed our lame chicken tried to trap nothing I figure if I catch it its cousin should have explained what would happen. Do they chew through wire and or fit throught very small holes

Coyotes and stray dogs are have been my only issues so far. Hawks and eagles have tried, but there's lots of cover and the free range roosters keep watch, so no successful raptor kills, and only a few scratches and feathers pulled. Finally have the neighbors trained to keep their dogs on their own property, but had to shoot a few dogs to make that point stick. The multiple cross fencing has helped prevent any more dog and coyote attacks, but nothing is 100% coyote-proof. Saw a coyote that got to the inner fenceline the other day -- the morning after a big storm and fallen tree branches had left three vulnerable areas in two different perimeter fences. Luckily the roosters alerted and the big tom turkey puffed up and scared it off -- the coyote was much smaller than the tom appeared, and the tom looked pretty brave on his side of the fence!!

you forgot to mention RATS,baby turkeys just hatched one eveing mother still on the nest when a rat visited them sometime during the night,kill 6 of the baby turkeys,i set traps with baby turkeys what is left of them,and caught the dam rat,big and ugly,death to all rats!!!

you forgot to mention RATS,baby turkeys just hatched one eveing mother still on the nest when a rat visited them sometime during the night,kill 6 of the baby turkeys,i set traps with baby turkeys what is left of them,and caught the dam rat,big and ugly,death to all rats!!!
I agree...death to ALL Rats. I have not lost any of my birds to them but they did kill my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. It was parked for two days during the latest freeze, rats got up in the motor, chewed up most of the wiring and built nest. Since late model vehicles are mostly drive by wire the insurance company totaled out the truck. DEATH TO ALL RATS!!!

i lost a few baby turkeys and u lost a truck!! they liked your dodge ram so much they didn't want u to have it back,lol,and the insurance company paid for the whole truck,bet those rats was mad!!
I would place more value on your birds than on my truck. The insurance company paid and now I have 6 years of new car payments. But I can't imagine having to place a replacement value (beyond the cost) on any of my birds.

My problems are foxes. A fox killed a couple of my chickens when they were free ranging in the yard and luckily my husband shot it. Recently I had my chickens out and I checked on them and I see a fox grab one of my chickens, I went running barefoot after it yelling"drop my chicken". Surprisingly it did. Guess the crazy woman chasing it wasn't worth the meal!!

Back
Top Bottom