What makes a coop a coop?

One of my coops (building with roosts and nest boxes) has an attached run (part that is wired off with wire roof) but its smaller than the coop itself. So I'm having a super hard time determining the capacity of the space.

One of my coops (building with roosts and nest boxes) has an attached run (part that is wired off with wire roof) but its smaller than the coop itself. So I'm having a super hard time determining the capacity of the space.
How big are both? I think that because they spend more time out than in, capacity would maybe be 1 bird above what the run would allow.

I thought this as well, but some people have covered runs 😅
I have a covered run that has increased my coops available space since I free range as well, so it's kinda like a part of the coop.

I guess a coop and run are anything you want them to be. It's what keeps poultry keeping so diverse and interesting. Everyone can do things their own way.

coop 85 sqft
run 64 sqft
I think I'd do 8, maybe 9 birds in there. Depending on the layout of the coop, you could cut it in half with a wall and make two coops, giving each a separate run. That way you could use the coop to full potential.

I think I'd do 8, maybe 9 birds in there. Depending on the layout of the coop, you could cut it in half with a wall and make two coops, giving each a separate run. That way you could use the coop to full potential.
So split it and build a second run for half of it? That's a neat idea

So split it and build a second run for half of it? That's a neat idea
Yep. I bet you could also cut roosting bars and nesting boxes so that they attach to the new wall if they went down the middle. This would leave you with two coops with the capacity for 6ish birds on the one with the 64 square foot run, and at most (changes depending on run size) a capacity for 8, 9 birds, if the run is big enough, as opposed to one coop with the capacity for 8, 9 birds.

To add further to the confusion, there is such a thing as an Open Air Coop -- which is like a run with part of the area more sheltered, usually with only three walls and a roof while the fourth "wall" is open to a run that may be roofed or may only be covered with wire.

It's a coop because it's used 24/7 and has the night perches (as opposed to the perches people often put into the run for daytime use), and the nestboxes.

Since I'm in the Sandhills of North Carolina where brutally hot and humid summers are more of a problem than cold winters, I'm considering patterning my new coop off this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Yep. I bet you could also cut roosting bars and nesting boxes so that they attach to the new wall if they went down the middle. This would leave you with two coops with the capacity for 6ish birds on the one with the 64 square foot run, and at most (changes depending on run size) a capacity for 8, 9 birds, if the run is big enough, as opposed to one coop with the capacity for 8, 9 birds.
This is tempting.
To add further to the confusion, there is such a thing as an Open Air Coop -- which is like a run with part of the area more sheltered, usually with only three walls and a roof while the fourth "wall" is open to a run that may be roofed or may only be covered with wire.

It's a coop because it's used 24/7 and has the night perches (as opposed to the perches people often put into the run for daytime use), and the nestboxes.

Since I'm in the Sandhills of North Carolina where brutally hot and humid summers are more of a problem than cold winters, I'm considering patterning my new coop off this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/
Oh yeah, I suppose it's relevant that 2.5 of the walls are mesh instead of solid walls, so the coop does get light during the day and they do hang out in both areas.

Back
Top Bottom