What makes the best nest?

Quote:
I am using hay because I can get it easily and inexpensively. Also, when I toss it out of the coop at changing time the cows come up and eat it. The ultimate in recycling.
big_smile.png

You definitely want your nest boxes to be lower than your lowest roost. Chickens naturally want to go to the highest point in the coop to roost in the evenings. If you nest boxes are higher than your roosts they'll choose the nest boxes instead of the roosts and you'll end up with dirty poopy eggs.

My girls prefer hay over straw. We have 2 kinds of nest boxes. Most of the girls prefer the wood boxes, but a few prefer the small rubbermaid containers with Chicken size doors cut in the front. These sit on a shelf for them to land on.

My chickens have 5 gallon buckets with lids (just cut a hole in it for entrance, they can't scratch the eggs out that way!) for nests, with straw for bedding. I like straw because it seems to conform to their shapes better, keeping them nice and cozy. But most of them hide their nests on the ground somewhere!

I have nest boxes. If you do a search especially in the Coop & Run Design and Construction forum, I'm sure you will get a lot of ideas. I saw some threads where some used dish pans. As far as nesting materials, I personally use spanish moss. I live in Florida so it is very abundant here. I just toss out the old and replace it with fresh once in awhile. Some people use hay, straw, dried leaves or dried grass clippings. I have seen threads on BYC where some even use carpet remnants in their nest boxes. I think it is really up to you.

I use dried leaves in my nest boxes. The hens seem to like it and it's FREE. I just bag up dry leaves every fall and store them in the garage or under the porch.

Quote:
What do you mean you had them cut at an angle ? I use the regular milk crates and put them side by side on the coop floor filled with hay /straw and they love it . I have 8 nesting boxes . ROOST area is on totally opposite side of the coop. So , no poop is ev in the nest . You have a picture of YOUR milk crates CUT at an angle ? and whats the purpose to cut them ? Sorry if I have all these questions .

these are MINE :

9529_black_milk_crate.jpg

Was thinking that when you use milk crates you would put them on their side with somesort of lip attached and not really use them bottom side down.... Interesting.... DH just built me a nice set of boxes from wood which I painted this past weekend.... I'm going to see if they like them....

I found an egg in the hay wagon which I keep in a horse stall away from the goats.... not sure how they got in but guess they flew over the stall wall....

Currently I'm using shavings but may turn to straw/hay if it doesn't work out....

We actually used some old kitchen wall cabinets (like those used above a refrigerator) and divided them. We initially used pine shavings and straw to line the nests. I just hated cleaning out the pine shavings and the hens always burrowed down to the bottom of the nest box with the straw (and I did use a LOT of straw!) Last time, I splurged and bought some of the nest box liners from one of this website's sponsors, the one that sells all the egg cartons, and I LOVE them! It makes it so easy to see the eggs, nothing is getting pushed out of the nest, no eggs are cracked, and it is so, so easy to clean the box out.

When my hens began laying, they would not use the nesting box we built. It's a type of shelter, sits about 4 feet off the ground, has one opening and inside has nesting areas divided off with slats of wood. Leaves are used for the nests.

The buggers were scratching out nesting areas in the compost and laying their eggs there.

They finally got the idea of using the nesting box after about three days of me showing them where they should be laying, but didn't really catch on until I put a golf ball in the nesting box.

Every since then they march right in and produce eggs where they are supposed to.

(I got the golf ball to keep snakes from getting the eggs).

Back
Top Bottom