What Makes these Barred Rocks And Not...................

They are production or utility birds. I must say this, they are better looking, at least one is, than many Barred Rocks that folks get, quite honestly. Are they up to the Standard for the breed? Oh, no. But about the only way you get birds of that quality is directly from a breeder. They are hatchery quality, as is often said here on BYC. Again, nice birds.

Here are some of our true bred Barred Rock from a heritage strain that is 100 years old.

Fred your birds always make my eyes dizzy! Those tight crisp stripes are like an optical illusion!

They are production or utility birds. I must say this, they are better looking, at least one is, than many Barred Rocks that folks get, quite honestly. Are they up to the Standard for the breed? Oh, no. But about the only way you get birds of that quality is directly from a breeder. They are hatchery quality, as is often said here on BYC. Again, nice birds.

Here are some of our true bred Barred Rock from a heritage strain that is 100 years old.

Those birds are gorgeous!!! I've never seen BR's with tight stripes like that before.I guess I have only ever seen production BR's.

As well as the extreme clarity of the barring, a standard bred or heritage line of Barred Rocks also have other differences. First, their slow growth. Second, their penchant for brooding their own young, Third, their extreme size. These birds dwarf the production/utility Barred Rocks seen more often and sold through feed stores and hatcheries.

As well as the extreme clarity of the barring, a standard bred or heritage line of Barred Rocks also have other differences. First, their slow growth. Second, their penchant for brooding their own young, Third, their extreme size. These birds dwarf the production/utility Barred Rocks seen more often and sold through feed stores and hatcheries.

Oh how I wish I could get some birds of that strain... You have no idea.. I do have some 'decent' ones, but nothing compared to Fred's drool-worthy birds.

But they are much better in quality than my production type BRs.

Side by side.

One of my best laying BRs. Production of course. But she makes a good mother as well. Raised 20 laying hens for us.

Back
Top Bottom