What might be the problem with my silkies?

Chickfever

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Southwest VA
I bought 3 hens and a roo exactly a month ago (June 26th). The guy told me they were 1 1/2 yrs old. One of the hens laid an egg on the way home but there have been no eggs since.

If they were starting to moult when I got them, wouldn't they be laying again by now?

If they were disturbed by being moved to a new location, wouldn't they be laying by now?

I just don't understand what might be the problem. Any suggestions?

Hi what type of feed are they getting..is it possible they are older than what he said.

Id think by now they would also be laying..You can figure 2 weeks they should start back up. Maybe they will take a bit longer... If they are molting they may have stopped to, which does happen.. some birds will lay right threw it and others just stop.. You could start them on some "good Game bird layer" and see if that helps speed things up..

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
Right now they are getting cracked corn because I haven't been to the farm store lately. They also get moved around the yard about 3 times a day (as long as it isn't raining). I think the TSC about 45 minutes away has some game bird layer, I'll have to call and ask them and see if anyone is going that way this week.... As for age, there's every possibility they are older. I think I've learned my lesson about buying from someone who does "mass selling" at flea markets
sad.png
. First and last time all at once.

Thanks!

Quote:
They don't have a whole lot of puffy hair on their heads, they barely have any. I'm going to try to build them a coop and run of their own this week....wish me luck, I can't build ANYTHING and make it workable
sad.png

Thanks!

Appropriate nutrition is one of the most critical components of maintaining a healthy, laying flock. Cracked corn has no nutritional value at all. That is why your bird stopped laying. In addition to the new environment and sudden change in feed, which are stressful on chickens. A laying hen needs at minimum a 16% layer ration during production time. Otherwise reproductive damage can occur. As far as moult..if they are moulting it can take several months before they lay again. Although I would start by getting them on a proper diet as they'll need that to regrow plumage as well. Good luck with the new coop.

Jody

Quote:
Right now they are getting cracked corn because I haven't been to the farm store lately. They also get moved around the yard about 3 times a day (as long as it isn't raining). I think the TSC about 45 minutes away has some game bird layer, I'll have to call and ask them and see if anyone is going that way this week.... As for age, there's every possibility they are older. I think I've learned my lesson about buying from someone who does "mass selling" at flea markets
sad.png
. First and last time all at once.

Thanks!

Quote:
They don't have a whole lot of puffy hair on their heads, they barely have any. I'm going to try to build them a coop and run of their own this week....wish me luck, I can't build ANYTHING and make it workable
sad.png

Thanks!

NO , don't blame these problems on the mass selling at flea markets , we have bought several of our hens at flea markets and they are fine . I think your main problems are , you moving them 2 or 3 times a day , they have NOT adjusted to beign comfortable when you move them again. PLUS the FEED . THEY need to be on High grade laying pellets IF you want them to lay .

#1 .
Kinda like when you move hens from a cage into a coop and run , takes several days before they settle down and begin laying again. IF you are moving them several times a day , that is one of your problems ... THEY have NOT adjusted to even being with their new owners yet and they are so confused from being moved around .

# 2. LAYING PELLETS are a MUST HAVE .
If you can not make regular trips to the feedstore , I suggest you buy in larger quanties , because they can not be without proper feed.

# 3. The heat has also alot to do with them slowing down or stopping the laying .

Last edited:
Your birds do NEED to be on a layer pellet/crumble (do you know what the previous owner fed?). Your birds will go downhill fast if they don't get the proper nutrition, as Jody said, cracked corn has no nutritional value.

Also, you need to stop moving them around. They are going to get stressed out and even with the right feed, may not lay. They need to be able to get comfortable with their surroundings and stay there.

Quote:
I find my hens eat more and fill up faster on the pellets , infact , they DO NOT cae much for crumb type .

Now , when I do feed my pellets the grower feed , hens PIG out on that too . LOL PLENTY of protein . !!! BUT laying pellets are a MUST .

Back
Top Bottom