What mix is my pea comb pullet? How old is she?

Octocontrabass

Hatching
Dec 27, 2020
A couple weeks ago, my wife and I rescued this lovely stray chicken. (Her name is Charlie.)

charlie.jpg

She doesn't look like any standard breed I was able to find, so I figure she's probably some sort of mix. She always holds her tail pretty low like in this picture. She's also the sweetest bird I've ever met, although she doesn't like being a lap-chicken.

charlie up close.jpg

We've had her for almost a month and she still hasn't grown any wattles. She hasn't laid any eggs and doesn't seem too interested in nesting. We're not quite sure how old she is; we thought around four months (when we rescued her) but that would make her nearly five months old with no sign of wattles and barely any comb.

Any idea what she might be or how old she really is? I'm hoping someone sees signs of Americauna (Easter Egger) heritage since I hear the blue egg pigment gene likes to stick with the pea comb gene, but personally I think the low tail and unusual temperament implies Sumatra.

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I rescued this lovely stray chicken. (Her name is Charlie.)

View attachment 2465775

She doesn't look like any standard breed I was able to find, so I figure she's probably some sort of mix. She always holds her tail pretty low like in this picture. She's also the sweetest bird I've ever met, although she doesn't like being a lap-chicken.

View attachment 2465776

We've had her for almost a month and she still hasn't grown any wattles. She hasn't laid any eggs and doesn't seem too interested in nesting. We're not quite sure how old she is; we thought around four months (when we rescued her) but that would make her nearly five months old with no sign of wattles and barely any comb.

Any idea what she might be or how old she really is? I'm hoping someone sees signs of Americauna (Easter Egger) heritage since I hear the blue egg pigment gene likes to stick with the pea comb gene, but personally I think the low tail and unusual temperament implies Sumatra.
She’s a game mix- cream or tan eggs.
Sumatras are fibro.

She appears to be a mixed gamefowl, probably with some breed like Aseel, Malay, or Shamo in her ancestry.

She's quite muscular, so I don't think it is likely that she has any Easter egger or Sumatra ancestry.

I'm going to guess that she is young, and that is why the comb and wattles are so pale. If that's the case, she will probably lay in spring. But don't expect too many eggs. Gamefowl are not bred for that purpose and do not lay many eggs. On the other hand, she will probably be a good sitter if you want to hatch chicks.

Also, great job in rescuing her! She looks happy and healthy.

Also, great job in rescuing her! She looks happy and healthy.
Thanks! We're keeping her as a pet, so we'll make sure she stays happy and healthy!

I'm a little surprised that everyone is so sure she's some kind of game bird, though; she's extremely patient and shows no aggression at all towards people. Aren't they usually less friendly than that? (On the other hand, she'll scream at cats and chase squirrels, so maybe it's a size thing...)

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! Time for me to check if game hens have different dietary needs...

Thanks! We're keeping her as a pet, so we'll make sure she stays happy and healthy!

I'm a little surprised that everyone is so sure she's some kind of game bird, though; she's extremely patient and shows no aggression at all towards people. Aren't they usually less friendly than that? (On the other hand, she'll scream at cats and chase squirrels, so maybe it's a size thing...)

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! Time for me to check if game hens have different dietary needs...
Gamefowl are aggressive to other chickens, not people. They’re actually known to be particularly docile towards people.

She has what are called 'beetle brows' over her eyelids, a sure sign of one of the Asian game breeds. Plus the pea comb, and muscular body fit too.

Back
Top Bottom