What month do geese starting laying in Ohio

DoubletakeFarm

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2013
NE Ohio
New to geese here and I'm trying to figure out when I can expect them to start laying. From everything I've read it says Feb/March. Do they really lay that early? I'm in NE Ohio and that isn't spring-that's still winter here! I'm picturing a bunch of frozen eggs. Can anyone from Ohio clue me in?

I'm not getting this
idunno.gif
Don't the eggs freeze?? I assume the goose doesn't set on them until she gets a clutch. Even if she lays them in the nestbox it's still going to be really really cold. How are they going to be viable by the time she lays enough to set on? And I'm picturing myself in boots and snowpants looking for white eggs in two feet of snow every morning!

I'm not getting this
idunno.gif
Don't the eggs freeze?? I assume the goose doesn't set on them until she gets a clutch. Even if she lays them in the nestbox it's still going to be really really cold. How are they going to be viable by the time she lays enough to set on? And I'm picturing myself in boots and snowpants looking for white eggs in two feet of snow every morning!
Yes, they will you just have to get out there very early in the morning to get them if you want to save them. I have no idea of why they start in Feb but they just do. The goose will lay and egg every other day, so you need to put them in an egg carton in a dark cool place to save a few to put in the incubator together. Hope this helps you some...

Back
Top Bottom