What? My Chicken is Lying Down?

We have 27 and they all do that. I also thought OMG my chicks are dying. Mine look like they are having spasms when they take their dust bathes. Really are some of the funniest things I have ever had. When the rooster lays over, with his feet sticking straight out believe me when I say, that is a sight to see. We have tan and red sex links, tetras, leghorns and they all do this.

My EE did it the other day, scared the bee jee bees out of me. They are a month old, and there they were, on their sides, one leg stretched out and one wing open. I quietly went over to check on them, and they just hopped up and found a new place to lay. My 6 week old girls do not do it, but they sure enjoy their dust baths. Rolling all over, dirt flying, and when they shake all that dust off, what a cloud of dust!
big_smile.png

Mine do that a lot on the concrete path, of all places. I'm pretty sure she is just trying to cool off.
tongue.png
Now, if she's having a tough time breathing, then I think that would be a call for alarm.

Last edited:
If ever I lay a blanket out on the grass, both of mine come and lie next to me exactly like that. I can see why it gives people a fright - they do look like they've been mauled!

Back
Top Bottom