What myths you've heard of and debunked?

Roosters only crow in the morning. I have 8 currently disproving that.

That petting a rooster will make him more aggressive (own personal experience here, dudes a d*ck anyways but seems to behave better if I pet his back a bit while in his pen at eye level)

That you can't have more than one rooster in a flock (my two main flocks have 3 roosters each)

What
Roosters only crow in the morning. I have 8 currently disproving that.

That petting a rooster will make him more aggressive (own personal experience here, dudes a d*ck anyways but seems to behave better if I pet his back a bit while in his pen at eye level)

That you can't have more than one rooster in a flock (my two main flocks have 3 roosters each)
And what breed do you have? My older rooster can't stand his younger son :(

ALL of your (insert species here) will DIE if you ever feed them (insert food here)!”

Also presented as:

“(insert food here) is DEADLY to (insert species here)!”

Examples:
Geese and rice
Ducks and lay crumble
Chickens and meat
Young birds and lay crumble

Usually it starts out as “don’t feed your birds exclusively/too much of this thing”, and spirals out of reason, morphing into the doom prophecy above. In reality, a small portion of those things is not an automatic death sentence. My concern is that the dramatic hyperbole will over-stress new bird keepers, or (worse) cause them to ignore the underlying good advice because it sounds bogus.

Back
Top Bottom