1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What new breed should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emzee, Jan 13, 2010.

1. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    I currently own Silkies and am thinking about starting on a different breed. These are the traits I am looking for:

1. Doesn't get sick easily
    2. Roosters don't crow very much
    3. Lays a good amount of eggs
    4. Is a bantam
    5. Is good for showing

Any suggestions?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    old english game.

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I would say old english game too except my OEG roo tends to crow a lot... but not as much as my white wyandotte.
    You might also consider Cochin or d'uccle bantams. I have both and they both lay great, even in the cold weather but I really dont know if their is a breed who doesnt crow much.. ?

4. emzee

Aug 18, 2009
    I don't really want to get Old English Game, just because they're SO common where I live, especially at shows. I would prefer something a little less common.

5. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:Cochin and Frizzle Cochin bantams are perfect for everything on your list. RIR bantams are another good choice. D'Uccles are good layers, beautiful and easy to tame if you want to show them.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I'd say go with d'anvers. They have all the qualities you are looking for and show very well, with no where near the compitition of Ol english (everybody's got them) We have 17 colors of them, check out our website to see them all, or go to the d'anver club to see my pic sections as well as several other breeders birds.
    I love them, they are quite, only a handful get tempers, most are very gentle, judges love them cause it's something they dont get to see all the time, they lay all threw the spring and summer, and the sell at pretty good prices too to cover the feed bills.

Try some out! I also am very partial to bantam phoenix!

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    bantam ameraucana. They are never sick, handle all our crazy Indiana weather great. Easy to show, and friendly.

8. emzee

Aug 18, 2009
    I think I'm gonna' get me some bantam Cochins. Thanks for all the suggestions!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Blue Wheaten Ameraucana's also come in bantam size.

And seriously, we can hardly hear Geoffry crow.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by