What on earth is happening over here?? Bumblefoot??

Emak2323

Songster
Apr 30, 2019
Massachusetts
First of all, god bless anyone that reads this post. It has been wild the last couple weeks. Here is some background.

6/1&6/2: Chicken 1: vomited a little clear liquid, breathing raspy gurgly. Was egg bound in October, no eggs since. Suspected internal laying, confirmed by necrospy I performed 6/2

6/7: found chicken 2 dead in coop with no signs i noticed previously. I opened her up and found a major hemorrhage and possible bleeding in the liver itself. Some on this site suspected fatty liver.

6/8: chicken 3 had a white bump inside her eye socket. Had eye stain done, not from a scratch
6/9: chicken 4 Seemed to have blood coming from her nostrils. Took chicks 3&4 to vet. She took X ray and found she had swallowed some screws, but possibly chicken cut the top of her nose and source of blood.

6/9 - chicken 5 laid a shellless egg right in front of me, not in nesting box
6/11 gave all chicks diatomaceous earth
6/12 found roundworm in poop
6/12 de-wormed them
6/13 - found suspected Bumblefoot on chicken 6 on both feet. Wondering what the literal f word is going on over here.

Photos attached

further backgroud. I unfortunately got some sick chickens back end of February. They were kept separate, but I know that’s not fool proof:
2/27/20 - picked them up
3/3/20 - extremely foul smelling vomit, chicken little. Put her down.
3/9/20 - noticed a couple other chicks twitching heads
3/10/20 - gave them back (13 days total)

Attachments

• 76376383-736C-47AB-915F-B818B2D4EE3A.jpeg
    76376383-736C-47AB-915F-B818B2D4EE3A.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 12
  • B8F8E304-7508-4BBA-BCB5-6E3FDFA7C87A.jpeg
    B8F8E304-7508-4BBA-BCB5-6E3FDFA7C87A.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 9A9D1DAD-C093-48FF-B78F-DC14E955C812.jpeg
    9A9D1DAD-C093-48FF-B78F-DC14E955C812.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 689EE941-42C1-4196-A236-ABBD7EC91E58.jpeg
    689EE941-42C1-4196-A236-ABBD7EC91E58.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 11
Bumblefoot is caused by a infected cut on the foot, it is not really avoidable and treatable.
The foul smelling vomit was likley sour crop, hate to say it, but that was treatable.
the blood on nose was just a cut.
What have you done about the chicken with screws in crop? if those get into the GI it could be very bad news.
Do you have questions about why this is all happening? The blood, bumble, and sour crop are not too uncommon in birds.

Bumblefoot is caused by a infected cut on the foot, it is not really avoidable and treatable.
The foul smelling vomit was likley sour crop, hate to say it, but that was treatable.
the blood on nose was just a cut.
What have you done about the chicken with screws in crop? if those get into the GI it could be very bad news.
Do you have questions about why this is all happening? The blood, bumble, and sour crop are not too uncommon in birds.
Yes - why all at once? There’s also roundworms that they have. And why the hemorrhaging in my bird that dropped dead? I understand my internal layer needing to be put down, but 5 days later another drops dead, then I find parasites, and now Bumblefoot? Doesn’t that seem a bit much in 2 weeks? I suppose she could have bumped her nose from the irritation of round worms, making it look like blood in the nostrils, but it seems too much to be coincidence.

the vet didn’t offer any options for the chicken with the screws. Do you have suggestions?

Sometimes it seems like everything happens at once. Murphy's Law. Bumble doesn't happen overnight, so it's a good idea to check feet regularly, monthly or so, more often if you seem to have a lot of it. Catching it early can make it much easier to treat. Internal parasites are also not uncommon, they could have been there a while also, easily treated. If they recurr (again not uncommon) then put them on a regular worming shedule based on the needs of your flock. For some worming once or twice a year is sufficient, for others more often may be necessary.
Birds run into things when they get startled or they panic, so not uncommon either. Also could have gotten a peck from someone else.
Fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome can have a genetic component, and can also be caused by too much junk in the diet.
If the screws were in the crop then crop surgery can be done to remove them. If they are farther down, like in the gizzard, then all you can do is hope they pass and not cause an problem. Swallowing screws, nails and staples are a common cause of what is called hardware disease and prevention is the best course for that. Check their grounds regularly for anything that turns up and try to keep it all picked up. My property is an old farm and they are always digging up various bits and pieces of junk.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/

Sometimes it seems like everything happens at once. Murphy's Law. Bumble doesn't happen overnight, so it's a good idea to check feet regularly, monthly or so, more often if you seem to have a lot of it. Catching it early can make it much easier to treat. Internal parasites are also not uncommon, they could have been there a while also, easily treated. If they recurr (again not uncommon) then put them on a regular worming shedule based on the needs of your flock. For some worming once or twice a year is sufficient, for others more often may be necessary.
Birds run into things when they get startled or they panic, so not uncommon either. Also could have gotten a peck from someone else.
Fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome can have a genetic component, and can also be caused by too much junk in the diet.
If the screws were in the crop then crop surgery can be done to remove them. If they are farther down, like in the gizzard, then all you can do is hope they pass and not cause an problem. Swallowing screws, nails and staples are a common cause of what is called hardware disease and prevention is the best course for that. Check their grounds regularly for anything that turns up and try to keep it all picked up. My property is an old farm and they are always digging up various bits and pieces of junk.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/

I got a rolling magnet to prevent it happening that I hope to try to run over the field once a month.

It’s definitely Bumblefoot? Do you have any recommendations for treating it? I found an article that says to soak their foot and work out the plug, then put neosporin on and wrap it

Back
Top Bottom