What on earth???

MissAnnieFrannie

Songster
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
East TN
Well, I am new to chicks, and I recently purchased 7 bantams, 2 of which were called "Mottled Cochins" and the other 5 are some kind of game bantam...He called them something, (sounded like cabuga lol not sure about it) but the closest thing I have found pics of online is OEGB...A little help please? I also have no idea of the gender, but I think it may be too soon to tell. They are app 2 weeks old. ((hoping to have clearer pics up at a later date, these were taken in a rush from my phone)). Some are lighter in color, and others are darker with a weird stripey splotch on their heads.

46979_chick1.jpg

46979_chick2.jpg

46979_chicks1.jpg

46979_chicks2.jpg

5. "Mottled Cochin"
46979_chick3.jpg

The brownish ones look like OEGB chicks, but at that age it's hard to tell what variety (color) they will turn out to be. The first one looks like a BBRed, but I see at least 1, maybe 2, other colors. The mottled cochins look like mottled cochins.

I'm guessing your " cabuga" is a Cubalaya.

Near the top of this page is your Mottled Cochin as adults.

Near the top here also, are your Cochin babies.

I guessing you have Frizzle (#4 with the hair-like down), Cubalaya (maybe #1 or another EE), EEs (#4 the chipmunk type coloring), Mottled Cochin (#4, the white/black chicks), #2 looks like my golden pencil Hamburgs as babies but there are no head markings. It could also be a gold duckwing Cubalaya. S/he's got very soft coloring. Comb growth will be your first sign of roo-ness.

Where exactly did you get them?

Last edited:
It looks like you could have Mottled Cochins for sure, and they others look like they could be Wheaten (the lighter ones) and Black Breasted Red (darker ones) Cubalayas like the seller said.

Quote:
I got them from a gentleman a few towns over. I know for sure they are bantam size! The cochins I was pretty sure about, but the others I have no clue. I am assuming the only thing they could be is either Cubalayas or OEGB, because that was the only kind of bantam chickens he had (besides the cochins). The eggs are from his chickens, and he hatches them out of a bator.

There feathery down is all different colors, but the actual feathers that are coming in all seem to be about the same color...brownish with splotches of white, almost like when you fling paint off a paint brush...

BTW, the one that looks frizzled is not a frizzle, it only looks like that because I had gotten its down a bit wet when I was cleaning a very crusty butt that was included free of charge
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom